Polishing Stainless Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking forever with good results.
    I will need to find a smaller wire ball or something to get some of the tight spots and replace the die grinder as it just gave up the ghost on this project.
    Those cheap $20 die grinders only last about 15-20 years.
    I left one ugly for this pic so that you might be able to see the difference so far...

Before and after...

Eric

Comment

That looks really nice! I'm going to keep this in mind when I get around to cleaning up my bike (once the rain comes back). How long did it take?

Comment

I am lazy and use power tools.
        That little bit of progress might have taken an hour.
        I am only about 2/3 done.
        After I get it all looking like this, I am going to try polishing a little.
        If that is going to take forever, it will stay satin as I prefer to ride rather than polish.

Eric

Comment

Now take some 600, 800, then some 1,000 and 1,500..hit it with a small buffing pad and it'll make a huge difference..just sayin..
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks Larry!
            I'll give it a try after I finish getting the copper color out of it.
            It would be nice if I could make it match the mid-pipe.

Eric

Comment

I hope you are using stainless steel wool and stainless wire wheels. If not you are wasting your time. Using a carbon tool to work stainles leaves microscopic amounts of carbon steel all over the stainless and it will rust in place on the surface of the stainless making it look like $hit.

Comment

Working...
              X