Polishing and painting pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing and painting pegs

I've polished the foot pegs and have now painted them. I think they look pretty good. I'm not sure if I want to sand them smooth and put another coat on them or just let them ride so I was wanting to know what you guys think or what you'd do.

I stripped the old paint off

This doesn't look too bad.

very similar to what I did..

Comment

I've been thinking for that recess about using the Champleve technique. But I have to do some more research.

I've only seen it done on small jewelry pieces so I'm not sure if a larger surface like this would be prone to cracking or other problems in the baking process. I would think the end result would be stronger and more durable than paint though, as it's basically glass.

I'm going to have to see what the cost of the enamel is. My dad has a kiln, so if he can get the temp low enough (850 F by one account) then it may be a viable option. Not as cheap as a can of black paint and some tape, but scratches wouldn't be an issue that's for sure.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        very similar to what I did..

Those look very very nice. I hope to catch up to you in the polishing department.

Comment

Personally, I like the polish with painted highlights, like GateKeeper did.

When I did my wife's bike, I only polished the easy stuff and painted the low spots where the bolts were.

Sorry I don't have any closer shots, you will have to suffer with these:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

An alternative would be an epoxy. But it's not cheap. Probably looking at $50+ total.

Rattlecan black is starting to look really good.

Comment

Thanks for the Idea's guys. I think I will go a head and put them on the bike tonight to see what they look like and go from there. I like where it's painted inside the bolt hole so will do that. I love the look of your bike Steve, very nicely done. I found one on the net I like a lot.

I don't know who's 1100 this is but it's very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                I've been thinking for that recess about using the Champleve technique. But I have to do some more research.

I've only seen it done on small jewelry pieces so I'm not sure if a larger surface like this would be prone to cracking or other problems in the baking process. I would think the end result would be stronger and more durable than paint though, as it's basically glass.

I'm going to have to see what the cost of the enamel is. My dad has a kiln, so if he can get the temp low enough (850 F by one account) then it may be a viable option. Not as cheap as a can of black paint and some tape, but scratches wouldn't be an issue that's for sure.
                I'd love to see what that would look like if you can do it.

Comment

Almost like mine

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                    I love the look of your bike Steve, very nicely done. I found one on the net I like a lot.
                    Thanks, but that is my wife's bike.

Feel free to click on the links in my sig to see the entire stable.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                      Almost like mine

OOH, me likey.....very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Thanks, but that is my wife's bike.

Feel free to click on the links in my sig to see the entire stable.

Welcome, I will have to do that.

Comment

Here they are all finished.

Comment

Very nice work.....

They look great....

Comment

Beautiful!!!

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X