$10 bar end mirrors..or "cafe" mirros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$10 bar end mirrors..or "cafe" mirros

got bored today...had a brillant idea...bought some 5/8th concrete anchors..some spot mirrors for a truck or car..and some spare metal around the shop

pics are pretty explanitory...i havnt finished them as of now..but check this album for updates

heres a step by step...

first tighten the nut a little on the anchor..just enought where its a snug fit inside your bars...

go ahead and tighten it down enought to allow a washer, your bracket, and 2 nuts.

i used about a 3 inch peice of flat metal..put a 90 degree bend, drilled on big hole on the short end and 2 smaller ones where the mirror will sit..

i used a grinder an made the brackets to form the shape of the mirror so theres no excess...

used 2 short screws, screwed them right into the bottom of the mirror..after making sure the adjustment is right...

then paint them bolts nuts and bracket whatever color...

also i used 2 sway bar end link bushings to cover the nuts up..for a nicer cleaner look (no pics yet)

feel free to use this on your site or wherever

something wrong....

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Comment

Too small for my tastes but still a cool DIY project. Careful though, you may go from cafe to rat doing that.

Comment

hm weird...ill upload a few pics ion that case...im used to tiny mirrors so its not to much a bother for me...they make a bigger one too that u can do the same with...

this bike started as a bobber..then a rat...then a cafe....so maybe im combining all 3?

ignore the 2 black round peices...was gonna used them to cover the nuts but no luck

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures, evidently you have to be a Facebook member to open the album.

Well, that just ain't gonna happen.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
            To me, a little too small to be of any real use, but a neat diy concept none the less. Not sure of any cost savings as a lot of bar mirrors can be had cheap.
            where at? ones i found was $40+

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Thanks for posting the pictures, evidently you have to be a Facebook member to open the album.

Well, that just ain't gonna happen.

lesson learned....guess if you dont wanna be my freind ill have to go complain about it on the internet somewhere lol

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                where at? ones i found was $40+
                One set http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BAR-END-MIRRO...item2320e45881
                Another http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-Re...item3f1a9691ca
                One more http://www.ebay.ca/itm/UNIVERSAL-CON...item2320bb19cf
                In the first 2 of 68 pages on eBay.Just type in bar end mirror.

Comment

well now...20 bux eh...i might hafta get a set...

i am thinkin of a new bracket to get the larger spot mirrors...but i dont need much of a mirror to start with..just to see how close someone is..my other pack rider..or if i need to get out of the way..those 2 tiny ones do just that lol

Comment

I use a set of bicycle mirrors that cost about $12 a pair. They fit in the ends of the bars and the optics are as good as the Napoleans I used to have. They are made by Third Eye.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                      ....guess if you dont wanna be my freind ill have to go complain about it on the internet somewhere lol
                      Sorry. I had friends long before the internet (let alone Facebook), strangely enough I still have friends.

Besides, if joining Facebook is what it takes to be your friend, I'm not all that interested.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Sorry. I had friends long before the internet (let alone Facebook), strangely enough I still have friends.

Besides, if joining Facebook is what it takes to be your friend, I'm not all that interested.

If you see me on facebook, it means someone is impersonating me. Billy turned me on to the Third Eye mirrors a few years ago, they work great and are suprizingly durable as well.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          If you see me on facebook, it means someone is impersonating me. Billy turned me on to the Third Eye mirrors a few years ago, they work great and are suprizingly durable as well.
                          i think im gonna order a set of those...they look really nice

also if your good to me im good back..i just use failbook to talk to out of state/town freinds..

wasnt trying to convice anyone..i do know the saftey factor in it...no offence taken..i had no mirrors an cant afford a set for a few weeks...so maybe a temp set i should call them

Comment

This is the best deal I've found on the Third Eye mirrors right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                              I use a set of bicycle mirrors that cost about $12 a pair. They fit in the ends of the bars and the optics are as good as the Napoleans I used to have. They are made by Third Eye.
                              How's the vibration I have a similar mirror on my mountain bike and find vibration makes it nearly worthless. Apples and Pears (closer than Oranges) I realize but I thinking there would be a bit more vibration on the bar ends than on stalks.

Comment

Working...
                              X