Sticker removal techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticker removal techniques

I am about to start the asthetics portion of my GS1100GK redo. Mechanicals are (finally) almost all done. Appearance wise, the biggest needs are to get a couple of dents out of the tank & refinish it & the top trunk off the luggage rack.
    The top trunk lid has the clearcoat worn off & the tape pinstripes are peeling. I'll sand & repaint it, but first have to remove that big old factory caution sticker that is on the top of it. That sticker is old, crusty & dried out. Since the lid is plastic, I can't just scrap it off. That would chew up the plastic too much. The sticker is a clear plastic base also, I think.
    I was wondering if anyone know of a liquid that I could use to soften the old sticker/adhesive ( mineral spirits, denatured alchohol, etc.) that would not screw up the plastic lid at the same time. that would save a lot of work compared to sanding it off.

Thx

Dupont 3812 Enamel reducer!! I use for that purpose alot! It will not hurt the paint or plastic....costs around $25 for a gallon!! I keep a gallon on hand at all times! You can also use it to clean & prep parts for paint as well!
    sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
    82 1100EZ

Comment

Heat gun...
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Hair dryer works good too. Start on medium. If there's any glue residue use WD40.

Comment

Heat will soften it..but once you get an edge lifted, use WD40 and spray along the edge as you lift it ever so slowly. My dad worked for the road commision and thats what they used to remove the old beat up stickers on raod signs so they could be refrershed. Works awesomely.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys!
            Between the enamel reducer and the heat gun/WD-40 advice, that old crap should come off!

Comment

Working...
            X