Plastic Side Cover Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Side Cover Repair

Today while putting the bike up on the centerstand to check the oil before a short ride, I absentmindedly put a knee into my left side cover and cracked it. While searching, I found a post on here referencing a website detailing how to repair it (http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/plasticrepair.html). I already have a soldering iron and am tempted to try it but I don't know what I'd be looking for if I look around town for ABS.

Can someone give me some advice on where/what to look for when I look for ABS? I could melt down my kids' legos but I'm pretty sure they'd be mad at me for a LONG time.

How easy is it to do this repair or should I look for a left side cover?

How do I do the spot weld they are talking about?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Look in search for PROJECT WINDJAMMER...the one where we sent Andre the fairing. Theres details about how to use ABS plastic shavings and acetone to do basically a chemical reweld of the plastic bits.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yea, I started looking at Adler's repair but I'll keep looking on that site too. How much acetone do you use and are there any other precautions I should use as in certain types of containers etc?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Another option is to use epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the backside of the crack. Flex the crack just enough to get some epoxy inside, then cut a 1" wide strip to reinforce the crack area. I've used this method on several cracked side covers and it works a treat.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Get a metal tuna can style and use a rasp to grate a good handfull of shavings in it..then slowly add a little acetone till its about the consistency of thick school paste or thick epoxy. Then use some cotton balls and dip them in some acetone and dab it along the crack on the backside of the cover..this will make the cover a slimey sticky surface. Smear the prepared slurry along the crack kinda like a thickish patch. Let it sit out in the sun for a few days till the acetone evaporates out and youll have a solidly welded plastic repair. Sand it and repaint as needed.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Another option is to use epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the backside of the crack. Flex the crack just enough to get some epoxy inside, then cut a 1" wide strip to reinforce the crack area. I've used this method on several cracked side covers and it works a treat.
            Would I put the epoxy on from the back?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

yes.. but if your gonna repaint it, you can do a iltte epoxy from the front too and sand it like it had never been cracked. Is it just a plain black cover or what?

Comment

No I repainted it last year so I'll need to do some sanding to remove the paint first. I was already planning on having my tank repainted later this winter but I didn't plan on this happening now. I'll probably try to fix the side cover now and not repaint it until later when I have the tank done.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I have plenty of scrap ABS off the 3D printer. I even have some parts I'm not using that could be ground up to make some glue. PM if interested.

If you want your own stash, I think Harbor Freight has ABS plastic welding rod.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Would I put the epoxy on from the back?
                    Scott,

It doesn't matter what side, just spread the crack enough to get some glue inside. When the crack is pushed back together the excess will squish out. Clean off the excess on the outside surface that will show, and then laminate a strip of fiberglass cloth into the back side to reinforce the area. Hobby stores sell fiberglass cloth to reinforce R/C airplane wings. Only costs a few bucks. Make sure to sand down the plastic on the back side before you do the glass work as you want a solid surface to bond to.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can also salvage ABS shavings from any discarded plastic bits from your bike (e.g., some fenders, tool tray, etc. That assumes you have some spare plastic parts to begin with.

Or, just grab some LEGO blocks. They are made from ABS.

Comment

Another source for ABS is Lowe's, Home Depot or ACE Hardware.

Look for the black plastic pipes in the plumbing section, then look for one of the cheapest connectors and shave it up.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X