Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe-look on my GSX400E

Hi!

I`ve just bought a 81` GSX400E which I am in love with!
    The bike is great, but I would like a more Cafe-look on the bike. Is it possible to buy a Cafe-seat for the bike which fits original frame? Unfortunately I can`t cut the rear frame because I don`t want to go through hell with the police like I did with my old KZ400.

Second, I`m not really pleased with the original gauges. I`m looking for more like the gauges on the 450L, where there are 2 single back-plates on both tacho- and odometer. The standard gauges on my bike now is more like a big black plastic box. What are my options regarding this? Will I be able to change "the big plastic box" with the 2 single back-plates from a 450L?

Third, I want spoked-wheels on my bike. Will wheels from a GS400 fit on my GSX400E? Looking for "plug and play" wheels. I don`t have the possibilities to make spacers etc. anymore.

Hi Marcus and welcome aboard. In answer to your questions:

Seat - there's nothing off the shelf that is plug and play but there are plenty of fibreglass seats around that will fit without chopping the frame. You'll need to fathom out how to fix the thing on but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Gauges - yes, stuff from other Suzukis will fit. You will probably need to fiddle about with the wiring and might have to look at how they mount but it will be easy.

Wheels - I would guess GS400 / 425 and even GS550 spoke wheels will fit but I'm not sure (though Suzuki did use the parts bin approach with these bikes). I'm guessing you're in the UK (hence the X on the end of GSX) and if you are it won't be easy finding spoked wheels from those bikes in good nick.
    Last edited by hampshirehog; 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Welcome tot the forum.

As far as the wire wheels go I bought a set of GS250 wire wheels on ebay that appear to be bolt-on only catch is that the rear is a 17in so you will need a new tire and tube. I have not fitted them to my bike but I will sometime in the futur.

For the cafe seat I recommend you visit the dotheton forum. They have a whole subforum dedicated to cafe seats.

For the gauges I have no idea. Hopefully opthers will chime in
      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Welcome Marcus! UK, Canada, or Aus with the GSX?
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Pete: Actually... I`m from norway.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus91 View Post
            ...I`m from norway.
            I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time. Even went to Bergen and it wasn't raining!
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Unfortunately I can`t cut the rear frame because I don`t want to go through hell with the police like I did with my old KZ400.
              Just out of curiosity, what was the reason for the "hell"?

Over here, as long as you don't interfere with the area around the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), there is not usually any problem.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Had a great time. Even went to Bergen and it wasn't raining!
                Awesome! I`m really glad to hear that you had a great time here. Bergen is known for being quite rainy, so you were definitely in luck. Not that it has been any better elsewhere in the country this summer. Anyways.. Hope you return sometime in the future. Would recommend you to experiance the norwegian countryside by motorcycle if you have some spare time. It truly is an amazing experiance.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, what was the reason for the "hell"?

Over here, as long as you don't interfere with the area around the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), there is not usually any problem.

Building/modifying bikes and cars in norway is a real pain in the ass. Sorry for the language, but that truly are the right words for it. Everything you do concerning wheels, frame, suspension, lights, engine-swap, exhaust etc. has to be MOT-approved. If you get caught with.. Lets say a modified back-frame which was my case. The police will have the right to withdraw your license-plate and give you a ticket. To retrieve your licence-plate you will have to make your bike stock again, and show it to the authorities. In my case, I was told that I would have to change the frame because the rear-frame had been shortened a few inches. Ridiculous, I know. But what can I say... Rules are rules.

But of course.. You can get everything approved. The downsides though is that it takes long time and a great deal of effort. And depending on who your inspector is, you can get a decline on something simple.

Comment

Building/modifying bikes and cars in norway is a real pain in the ass. Sorry for the language, but that truly are the right words for it. Everything you do concerning wheels, frame, suspension, lights, engine-swap, exhaust etc. has to be MOT-approved. If you get caught with.. Lets say a modified back-frame which was my case. The police will have the right to withdraw your license-plate and give you a ticket. To retrieve your licence-plate you will have to make your bike stock again, and show it to the authorities. In my case, I was told that I would have to change the frame because the rear-frame had been shortened a few inches. Ridiculous, I know. But what can I say... Rules are rules.

But of course.. You can get everything approved. The downsides though is that it takes long time and a great deal of effort. And depending on who your inspector is, you can get a decline on something simple.
                    It's exactly the same here... a couple of guys on the Katana forum got fined for their rear mudguards being short after they trimmed them up. Absolutely insane but that's how it goes... that's the main reason I changed nothing structural on my 450 when I rebuilt it.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Pete: Actually... I`m from norway.
                      If you get to "Edit Your Details" in your User CP (upper left) and scroll down ... your entered 'location' will then show in your posts.
                      cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X