Frank Z. Decals and a little spit and polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
    Get with him Tech. They are great for a restoration of the switches. I want to be just like Steve when I grow up.

Thanks Frank! I was really pleased at how forgiving the decals were. They stick really well but there's just enough give to position them before full contact. They also went on without any air bubbles. Thanks for providing the service and doing the R&D on them.

This is a little before and after with my work today. Still working on it, but they are going to look pretty good when I'm finished.

wow looks awesome! i'd love to do that, but i'm soooo lazy

Comment

Thanks guys.

Steve, the body is painted with duplicolor aluminum engine enamel. Same paint I used on the motor.

I polished the small bits and the edges, taped it off then primer and paint.

Comment

Hey Good Times.

When you painted the switch's with the bumper paint, did you use that on the back's of the housing's that are metal too. If so, did it all turn out looking the same between the metal backs and plastic fronts.

I've got a set of Franks decals sitting here waiting to be put on. Just trying to decide if I want to go ahead and paint the switch's.

Comment

Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

Yes I painted the backs with the bumper paint as well and they all look uniform. That's really good stuff and very easy to paint with. I give it two thumbs up before using the decals.

Good luck.

Comment

Looks great, I need to redo my handlebar switch housings, as well.
            The right switch housing is for sale on ebay for about $150.
            I can buy a lifetime supply of plastic paint for that!
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
            1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
              Looks great, I need to redo my handlebar switch housings, as well.
              The right switch housing is for sale on ebay for about $150.
              I can buy a lifetime supply of plastic paint for that!
              Paint em up!

Comment

Paint em up!
                I'm in the same boat, got the decals and thinking about painting everything. When you painted, did you take everything off and spray? Or did you brush it on? I'd almost prefer something I could brush on so I don't have to take everything apart

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                  I'm in the same boat, got the decals and thinking about painting everything. When you painted, did you take everything off and spray? Or did you brush it on? I'd almost prefer something I could brush on so I don't have to take everything apart

I had mine apart already and sprayed them. They aren't hard to take apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

Only you, Steve.
                    Bearing caps.... obsess MUCH, Steve??

I'll definitely pick up some of that Heart to Heart, even though it's a little pricey... don't care so much about my nails but nothing is too good for the GS! I may even go over the '750' badges on the side covers, looks like a good match. I found the silver Sharpie does a decent job touching up the borders on those.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Question

Did you sand? Primer? Clear coat?

Mike
                      I had mine apart already and sprayed them. They aren't hard to take apart.
                      sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                      1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Sanded and painted. No clear. Not sure how the decals would take it, but it's not a bad idea.

Comment

Ordered a set for myself.

Comment

Thanks

Now all I need is the time to do it. Gettin` tired of sitting there looking at these decals not mounted. This weekend... 2 grandson`s soccer games. One grandsons football game and one grandsons b`day. YIKES! And still have to find time to watch some football and sneak in a ride. A grandpa`s work is never done.
                            Sanded and painted. No clear. Not sure how the decals would take it, but it's not a bad idea.
                            sigpic1981 gs1000G Black

Comment

Decals take clear sealer (flat finish) very well. I use Valspar brand.
                              '80 GS1000ST
                              '92 ZX-11
                              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Question 2

Thank you Frank. And thanks bunches for the decals. Primer or not?
                                Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                                Decals take clear sealer (flat finish) very well. I use Valspar brand.
                                sigpic1981 gs1000G Black

Comment

Working...
                                X