Frame Funk Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame Funk Cleanup

Been cleaning up the DT175s I bought and I'm having some difficulty with the frame. I can't tell what this residue is on it and I don't want to get more aggressive without consulting you fine fellows.

As you can see, the one frame has cleaned up quite nicely. But take a look at this:

What is that? As aggressive as I've gotten is using acetone and a 3M pad, but even that require a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease - enough that I'm worried about damaging the clearcoat.

What do you guys think?

Have you tried brake cleaner on it yet?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Have you tried brake cleaner on it yet?

Eric
      I haven't. Brake cleaner will harm the paint on the frame, wouldn't it?

Comment

use some paint thinner or brake cleaner on a cloth and try rubbing it off. I think it's some kind of wax that never came off when the bike was new or some po tried to wax the bike to preserve it. Hey, what kind of frame is that anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Biggie View Post
          use some paint thinner or brake cleaner on a cloth and try rubbing it off. I think it's some kind of wax that never came off when the bike was new or some po tried to wax the bike to preserve it. Hey, what kind of frame is that anyway?
          1978 Yamaha DT175.

I had bought them thinking I'd strip it all down completely and repaint, but under the barn dust the one bike is in pretty good shape. Going to clean it up, replace bearings, cables, rubber and fluids and slap it back together.

The second one I'll may get more creative with.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
            I haven't. Brake cleaner will harm the paint on the frame, wouldn't it?
            No.

Eric

Comment

No.

Eric
              Well sumbitch! Wonder how long I've been walking around with that misinformation rattling around in my noggin' ...

Thanks!

Comment

Brake cleaner will take off fresh rattle can paint but not the OEM paint.

Eric

Comment

love the frame man, especially the rear shock that's fixed to the backbone!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggie View Post
                    love the frame man, especially the rear shock that's fixed to the backbone!
                    It's a pretty interesting design and interesting bike besides. Never messed with 2-strokes before, and to find a monoshock, 2-stroke enduro??

Should be a fun project. And I've got a whole second bike to mess with too. Maybe I'll hop up the second engine a bit ...

Comment

Brake cleaner will take off fresh rattle can paint but not the OEM paint.

Eric
                      Works good, as mentioned above.
                      I haven't had a DT-175 since I was 16, but it was handy to use on the ranch and commuting to school.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Looked at a couple of DT175's with a DG(?)175 thrown in.Passing on them as to far gone.Googled the alleged DG175,nothing.Very weird bike,DT engine in a twin shock frame with front and rear racks

Comment

Working...
                        X