Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between the 'L' and 'E' seat pans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between the 'L' and 'E' seat pans?

Hey guys, I'm trying to de-'L' my '79 GS550L. The seat is hideous and has to be changed. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a whole new seat or modify the existing one.

I got the cover off and the foam is in really good shape. I could conceivably shave the foam down to a standard 'E' size and fit a new cover over it, or I could by a trashed 550 seat and recover and refoam it.

So my question is: will an 'E' seat/seat pan fit an 'L' model? Can I grab any '77-79 550 seat and throw it on my bike?

Thanks,
    Tommy

[QUOTE=tbrand69;1717274
    So my question is: will an 'E' seat/seat pan fit an 'L' model? Can I grab any '77-79 550 seat and throw it on my bike?

Thanks,
    Tommy[/QUOTE]

No. and no.
    Modify the seat on the pan that you currently have.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      No. and no.
      Modify the seat on the pan that you currently have.

Eric
      Excellent, thanks for the info. That makes things a little more difficult, but manageable.

Would a standard 'E' cover fit that 'L' pan if I shave down the foam enough?

Comment

Originally posted by tbrand69 View Post
        It might, if you shave the foam to the exact shape of the "E" seat.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          It might, if you shave the foam to the exact shape of the "E" seat.

I think I could do that. I'd have to buy a cover first for reference, then continually fit it, shave the foam, refit, reshave, etc., until I get it right. I can always weld or epoxy extra/new hooks or mounts if I need to.

Thanks for the valve spreadsheet, by the way. I haven't had a chance to plug my numbers in yet, but I'm getting around to it.

Tommy

Comment

I haven't had a chance to plug my numbers in yet, but I'm getting around to it.
            Come on, you have had it for four days, what are you waiting for?

Here, just in case you can't find your other one:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info. That makes things a little more difficult, but manageable.

It would be a lot easier and better to shave the seat to a shape you want and make a custom cover to fit. I don't think an E shape can work on an L pan.

Congrats on the DeLing the L, it's always a good choice.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Come on, you have had it for four days, what are you waiting for?

Here, just in case you can't find your other one:

Lol, I'm workin on it! Unfortunately, other things have taken priority, but I'm in no rush. I'd rather take my time and do it slowly than dive in face first.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                It would be a lot easier and better to shave the seat to a shape you want and make a custom cover to fit. I don't think an E shape can work on an L pan.

Congrats on the DeLing the L, it's always a good choice.
                Thanks. Although i already have an 'E' cover on the way. I'll throw it on and see how it looks, then try shaving down what I don't need. I can also hack up the pan a bit if I need to make it fit.

Alternatively, I can just strip all the foam off and play around with the pan's shape and size, then glue new foam to it in the shape I want.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
                X