Drag Bars or ClipOns on a GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Bars or ClipOns on a GS1100E

I'm considering putting on a set of a drag bars or clip on superbike bars on my 82 GS1100E.. I was hoping to hear some opinions from those who have tried these bars on this bike.. How do they fit? Do they hit the tank when turning? I'd like to see some pics with these bars on them if you have them..

thanks

I have drag bars on mine & they are just the right feel for me. They don't hit anything either.
    Ray.

Comment

This is something I was thinking about as well, but for my 83 gs750e, I was thinking more of clip on bars, do the forks have to come up a bit in the tripple tree, or do they clip on below the tripple, does anyone have a picture of this kind of setup ? and is there any issue in clearance, for the small fairing, tank, etc....

Thanks

Comment

I dont think the bars would hit under normal turning. But when I tried them, I found that if I wanted to lock the steering, parts of the left side would hit the tank, like the choke control mostly.

Comment

Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            I have drag bars on mine & they are just the right feel for me. They don't hit anything either.
            Ray.
            Hi rapidray, could you possibly post some photos of your bike for us to see? That would be awesome.. Thanks

Comment

i have a 7 million foot torso (compared to my short leg inseam) so drag bars and the like are too low for me. they give me lower back issues.

if you are around 6'3" or so and have around a 31-32" inseam dont bother trying to lean forward like on a crotch rocket. youll be crying after an hour.

if you are built like a small japanese man, youll be all set with the drag bars.

Brian
              Brian

82 GS1100E
              sigpic

Comment

First post ..but ran a 850g with clip ons in the eighties with no problems.No clearance tank issues etc
                Changes the position loads though.Rode a mates gs1000e with the same.No issues
                Position more like the early gsxr750 when fitted(not quite as comfy)but fine providing you are ok with a forward position and some weight on your wrists
                I am 5 10" and 12 stone though
                I would think its not great if much bigger than that but that was my experience

Comment

Originally posted by evh View Post
                  Hi rapidray, could you possibly post some photos of your bike for us to see? That would be awesome.. Thanks
                  I was thinking the same thing.....

Would love to see them on a bike, I like visual stimulation....LOL

but seriously, if you have a few pictures post them up

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by reliant_turbo View Post
                    i have a 7 million foot torso (compared to my short leg inseam) so drag bars and the like are too low for me. they give me lower back issues.

if you are around 6'3" or so and have around a 31-32" inseam dont bother trying to lean forward like on a crotch rocket. youll be crying after an hour.

if you are built like a small japanese man, youll be all set with the drag bars.

Brian
                    I am 5'11" & love them. Sorry, am at work & cant post photos.
                    Ray.

Comment

no problem....post them after work, or latter tonight, heck even tomorrow will be fine....

would be great to see see how this looks

Cheers

Comment

Hopefully somebody can post some photos of their GS's with Clip ons and Drag Bars.. Hopefully rapidray can show us, I'm VERY interested in doing this, i think it would really compliment my 1100.. The bikes look very muscular to begin with, these bars would be the icing on the cake.

Comment

PM me your email addresses those of you that want photos. I will try to get them to you tomorrow. I wont post them here due to one person.
                          Ray.

Comment

I think these may Qualify as drag bars. Installed them in 84 as the original bars made you feel like you were riding a horse. The leaned forward position is fine for short trips. Need some rear sets to go with them though. And yes you do need to role the throttle mount forward or the throttle cables hit the tank. Hard on the paint.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2012, 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Those are a little rise to them, they are low but drag bars are flat. Is your bike the one that was for sale here before or is it now the second one I've seen? Cool piece of history!
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X