Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remove the stock fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to remove the stock fairing?

I have an opportunity to buy a 79 suzuki GS1000e, however I can't deal with the fairing being on there. Is it possible to remove the fairing and keep everything in tact? Or will I not be able to because of the head light and wiring harness?

A stock 1000E has no fairing.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok, so the dude added it on to it. Forgive me, I'm kinda green to anything non harley, lol.

How would I go about knowing by looking at it whether I would be able to take it off and keep everything in tact?

Comment

Just take our word for it.

If it is indeed a 1979 GS1000E, there was no "stock" fairing, so anything that has been added CAN be removed.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You will have to find a head lamp bucket and maybe ring. Also, maybe head lamp mounting brackets depending on what the previous owner did when the fairing was mounted.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by BBE View Post
            I have an opportunity to buy a 79 suzuki GS1000e, however I can't deal with the fairing being on there. Is it possible to remove the fairing and keep everything in tact? Or will I not be able to because of the head light and wiring harness?
            Where are you located? If it is the bike I'm thinking of you have more issues than removing the fairing. Is this the one in Sioux City?
            Last edited by nejeff; 08-23-2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Can you post photos of the bike and fairing?

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                Where are you located? If it is the bike I'm thinking of you have more issues than removing the fairing. Is this the one in Sioux City?
                Not the one in sioux city. I can however post up pics.

Comment

Wow, haven't seen one of those in years.

I don't know if Shoei used the stock headlight in the fairing or provided their own, so you will have to try to remove just the headlight to see. At worst, you will need headlight mounting ears (then disassemble the forks to install them), turn signals and a headlight with bucket. Not really all that bad of a project.

By the way, when I said "disassemble the forks", I only meant that you will have to slide them out of the triples to install the mounting ears. No need to totally disassemble them unless you are also going to change the seals.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by BBE View Post
                    Not the one in sioux city. I can however post up pics.

Yeah, thats not the one. Interesting fairing...now I know why you want to get it off!

Comment

The reports "back in the day" said that the Shoei fairing was very well-made and worked quite well, it just lost a bunch on styling points.

Looks like somebody pumped a few extra psi into a Windjammer, making it puff up.

As much as I like the protection of a frame-mounted fairing, I don't think that is one model that I would consider.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

You guys know these bikes really well obviously. How much would you guys pay for that bike?

Just wanna make sure I'm not overpaying

Comment

Not knowing all the details (like where are you are from) there are several in the $1000 to $1500 in my area right now. Depends on tons of factors. Can you link the craigslist ad (if there is one) so we can all see the details

Comment

Ok, went back and took long looks at the pics. Has some rust issues on pipes, seat is torn, 51,000 miles. If I am too assume it runs but "needs carbs adjusted" and assuming the rubber needs replaced I'd want to be at $800 or less. The fairing and trunk are not going to be worth much and you'll be buying headlight bucket most likely at a minimum.

PS Also will need front turn signals

Comment

How much are they asking BTW?

Comment

Working...
                              X