Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remove the stock fairing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBE View Post
    You guys know these bikes really well obviously.
    Yes, we do, thank you for noticing.

How much would you guys pay for that bike?

Just wanna make sure I'm not overpaying
    Originally posted by nejeff View Post
    Not knowing all the details (like where are you are from) there are several in the $1000 to $1500 in my area right now. Depends on tons of factors. Can you link the craigslist ad (if there is one) so we can all see the details
    I agree with nejeff. If it were actually as good as it looks in the pictures (without the torn seat and rust, etc.), and it had new-ish tires and decent brakes, it could easily go for about $1500.

Considering the rusty pipes, the torn seat and other stuff that needs to be done, probably closer to $1000.

The fairing and trunk might seem valuable to the seller, but don't really add anything to actual value. In your case, at least the fairing appears to be worthless, so it adds nothing at all. Then, factor in that you will have to add some parts to replace what will come off with the fairing, I might go about $800 on it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If the bike is useful as is, I might pay close to two grand. If it has rusty leaky forks, old tires, doesn't run well, Hard to say. If you can't ride it safely home, maybe a grand. That torn and cut down seat sucks. You might pay up to a hundred dollars for a stock headlight, brackets, and turn signals. The Iron Cross on the tank alone indicates that a previous owner was a ninny. What else did he work on?

Normally, the fairing manufacturer provided a harness that adapted the fairing electrical to the stock harness. No modifications to the stock harness should have been required. I have removed numerous Windjammers, Califia, and/or Pacifico fairings, but never a Shoei.

If you think that removing the fairing and forks in order to put the stock lighting on it might be any kind of a challenge for you, you should consider passing on it. Guaranteed, it has numerous issues from sitting and from deferred maintenance that will be considerably more challenging than that. There are numerous people on this list who can and will help with any problems it has, should you elect to buy it.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        The Iron Cross on the tank alone indicates that a previous owner was a ninny. What else did he work on?
        LOL!! I didn't want to say anything...

Comment

thank you a TON for the advice guys! The owner wants 700 OBO. He's very unattached to the bike. He rescued it from his co workers storage garage in april, and has only had it since april. And now he got a new job and needs a car, so he needs to sell the bike. He still rides it twice a week on a regular basis. The work he has done to it include a new battery, cleaned the carbs, and serviced the clutch.

As for me, personally. I'm wondering if I could get him down to 500 on it. My ultimate goal is to either make a little money on it by flipping it, or keeping it for myself for a year or maybe less and ultimately still being able to break even or make a bit on it.

Comment

thank you a TON for the advice guys! The owner wants 700 OBO. He's very unattached to the bike. He rescued it from his co workers storage garage in april, and has only had it since april. And now he got a new job and needs a car, so he needs to sell the bike. He still rides it twice a week on a regular basis. The work he has done to it include a new battery, cleaned the carbs, and serviced the clutch.

As for me, personally. I'm wondering if I could get him down to 500 on it. My ultimate goal is to either make a little money on it by flipping it, or keeping it for myself for a year or maybe less and ultimately still being able to break even or make a bit on it.
            Your instinct is right. Make sure he actually has a transferable title and then show him 5 c-notes and he'll probably take it. Good Luck!

Comment

I'd offer $500. Maybe less if i thought he might go for it. Even at that price there's not much room to make money flipping it, it takes too much time, effort and money to get it to top dollar condition, or even safe to ride and running well condition. Making a profit requires buying a decent bike for almost nothing, even more so lately as no one is buying anything these days.

Much more than that and it's not the bike I'd choose, there are better ones out there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If I were considering this bike, I'd be more concerned about the condition of what's going to be left after you remove the fairing.
                Parts are getting scare and expensive for GS1000's.
                It would have to have a serviceable non-leaky tank, petcock, and Self cancelling turn signal control unit. These parts are hard to come by and now hundreds of dollars.
                How about the chain and sprockets? Tires and tubes? Anything older than 5 years should be replaced regardless of the tread.
                The seat, well do you like it like that?
                The pipes are rusty it appears. Stock mufflers are hard to come by in decent condition.
                Would you have to pull the carbs and put on new carb boot O rings?
                You may have to do more work than you want too, and with that, expense, tools, and time. Do you like to use your spare time for wrenching?
                Is this a hobby or needed transportation?
                51K on the clock is probably double of what I'd want the max mileage to be.
                There's been several nice GS1000's posted lately, and I thought the prices were pretty good.
                This could be a good project bike or a bike to get providing you already had alot of spare parts, maybe a parts bike, and know how.

Anyway, if you have the strong desire to get it, you can look at what was a train wreck when I got my '79 GS1000E and with lots of time, effort, looking for parts, and money, you could make that look like this.
                Had I had the chance to do it again, I would've waited for a bike in better condition to start with.
                P.S. My tail piece had an Iron Cross on it!

sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                X