Question about Re-Chroming Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Re-Chroming Forks

After replacing my forks seals, properly this time, this weekend, it seems my forks are leaking again (not bad yet). While doing them, I noticed some pitting that makes me wonder if it's worse than I thought when I first looked at them.

Does anyone know anything about this company Chrome Pros Plating in Corpus Christie TX http://www.chromeprosplating.com/ ?

Is rechroming a good option or am I better served by replacing my forks?

I wouldn't be doing anything right now but do want to plan on something for this winter.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    After replacing my forks seals, properly this time, this weekend, it seems my forks are leaking again (not bad yet). While doing them, I noticed some pitting that makes me wonder if it's worse than I thought when I first looked at them.

Does anyone know anything about this company Chrome Pros Plating in Corpus Christie TX http://www.chromeprosplating.com/ ?

Is rechroming a good option or am I better served by replacing my forks?

I wouldn't be doing anything right now but do want to plan on something for this winter.
    Wow! Did not know re-chrome cost that much. For $95 each fork I think I would look for another good used set. My 550 had bad pitting and I spent alot of time wet sanding the fork tubes so I would not tear up the new seals. Has worked fine so far

Comment

Just to confirm that you put the new seals in the right way up and that there is no play on the guide bushes - either will cause a leak that quick.

Rechroming is fine. The ones I have had done over here are better than new. The chrome comes back a little dull but it does shine up with use and it is much thicker and stonger than original.

Cost of rechroming here is about the same as quality pattern tubes new. There are cheap ones around from India but they are junk.

And make sure you get hard chrome plating if you go that route. It's a different process.

Here's a set I had done a month or so ago for a Bultaco - you can (hopefully) see that the chrome is a bit flat:

Last edited by hampshirehog; 08-27-2012, 05:25 AM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Spend the dough . You won't regret it .
        Got mine (1000S) forks hardchromed (and straightened) five years ago and haven't had a problem since .
        Money well spent .

Cheers , Simon .
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

You could get new ones...

Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
            Wow! Did not know re-chrome cost that much. For $95 each fork I think I would look for another good used set. My 550 had bad pitting and I spent alot of time wet sanding the fork tubes so I would not tear up the new seals. Has worked fine so far
            What grit did you use and was there any special technique to doing it so that I don't mess mine up even more?

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            You could get new ones...

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
            Thanks Bob. I emailed him before I posted this and received an answer back today. New 550T forks (single brake per the fiche) and new 750EC forks (dual brake like the ones I have) are running $300. However, I found a few posts in Google last night that claimed his stuff wasn't that great of a quality.

Do you know anything else about him that maybe give more information than the reviews I found?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X