Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a builder or kit for GS1100E hardtail conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a builder or kit for GS1100E hardtail conversion?

I bought a GS1100E recently. I had a GS1100L (shafty) years ago, so I knew they were nice scoots. I jumped all over this E since I had been debating building a bobber and knew that a chain drive makes things so much easier.

While I'm still not sold on making it a bobber (I like the look, but it's so damn trendy now), I'm weighing my options. Does anyone know of a decent builder that will convert my frame to a hardtail- and do a decent job of it, or at the very least a kit I can pick up to take to a local shop?

I remember finding one a few weeks back in upper Ohio, but I apparently didn't bookmark their site. That and I think I found it while looking into a KZ1000 I almost bought...

In short I don't know what the hell I want to do, at least not 100%. I know I want to customize the bike beyond just paint and whatnot. Maybe a jockey shift... Maybe dropped hardtail with an extra wide rear tire... Old Brit springer front if I can manage... I just don't know yet. Honestly it depends on what I'm listening to. Queue up The Cramps and I'm ready to bob. Joy Division gets me off the bob kick, and then there's Sabbath and The Exploited to consider... Anyway, just trying to stockpile info for when I finally get my act together and put my wallet where my mouth is.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM.

Just go to crackslist and pick up some half finished bobber project. Of course, you may die on the thing when the rear end falls off, but you will go in a blaze of glory and all your friends will talk about you. After all, it's all about being hip and cool so who cares if you crash and burn?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Please don't cut the bike up. If that's your plan, I'll give you what you have in it and pick it up just to save it.

This bobber/cafe/cutting up perfectly good bikes sh*t has to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by groundshock View Post

This bobber/cafe/cutting up perfectly good bikes sh*t has to stop.
        Find a nice 550L to ruin. Maybe a 750L.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All perfectly good points Old_Skool. I've definitely been considering the safety aspect of it all, which is one of the main reasons I've held off for so long. My bike is mainly a commuter (~20 miles round trip) with the occasional long ride to clear my head/de-stress. It's NEVER going to be a bar hopper since I don't drink and ride.

I'm not a fan of the whole cafe thing. It's for some folks, just not me. I like the bobber look overall, but again, it's so wide-spread. Sometimes I wonder if bone-stock is a rarer animal?

As for cutting up perfectly good frames as mentioned above, property and it's modification is generally the sole discretion of it's owner. I won't tell you how to mod your bike, and you don't tell me how to not mod mine. M'kay? Not trying to start anything, and I don't mean any disrespect. The whole point of this thread was simply to gather some info.

As it stands I have plenty to work on with the Compufire install, the Rick's stator (although it's basically a plug-in replacement), fork gaiters, exhaust wrap, and whatnot. I just tend to window shop a lot and like to know what kind of $$ and time certain projects would take. I do know the bike needs some paint soon, and even that's giving me fits. Part of me wants a rat bike with a suede/primer tank and part of me says that's been overdone to death as well. Too many ideas, and not enough free time.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
            Sometimes I wonder if bone-stock is a rarer animal?
            Now you're getting it. When they are all cut up they will be rarer still.

Your bike is mainly used as a commuter and you want to hard tail it?

Comment

As it stands I have plenty to work on with the Compufire install, the Rick's stator (although it's basically a plug-in replacement)

The stator is NOT a direct plug in. You need to rewire the charging system if you want your bike to charge properly.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Seriously, the 1100e is a neck breaker with torque and acceleration. Quite honestly the stock brakes and suspension are not even enough to fully handle the engines power. To start taking away from the frames engineering (which helps deal with the power) would be a big mistake, meaning probably dangerous. Its a bike that needs upgrades, not downgrades. If I ever do a cafe, bobber or hardtail I will find a twin.
                Like Oldschool said, they are bar hoppers and fun little weekend bikes to go ride around and look cool on. Not bikes to take big trips on and not the best choice for a commuter.
                Search dragbike on e bay and you will find mostly GS 1100 motors. Search rigid, cafe, or bobber and you will not.
                Best of luck with whatever you decide, but make sure your machine is safe but also comfortable and enjoyable to ride...cause if its not right, you will get sick of it very fast and it will all be for nothing.

Comment

I'll just wait for the Craigslist ad when it goes for sale.

Eric

Comment

How will you find it among all the other unfinished hard tail/bobber/cafe projects that are always for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      How will you find it among all the other unfinished hard tail/bobber/cafe projects that are always for sale?
                      It should be easy to spot with the notation that the PO died on said bike.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Now you're getting it. When they are all cut up they will be rarer still.
                        HAHA! You know, you've got a valid point there!

In the end, I just want to make the bike my own- to put my own signature on it. I kind of have this hang-up about built vs. bought and just want my bike to be unique. Not that it has be different for the sake of being different- not shooting for a pink and chartreuse color scheme or anything. I just like my bike to stand out in the crowd a bit like I tend to do. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

A custom paint job can go a long way without making the bike unrideable.
                          There are quit a few nice ones done by riders on this forum.

There's a rattle can paint job thread on here now that has some good ones. And you don't need to pay someone else to do it.

The built vs bought thing is strong with me too, and paying someone to do something is bought.

Now that you're not bent on detsroying one of these few remaining 1100e, welcome to the forum.
                          Last edited by tkent02; 08-27-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Haha- Was never bent on destroying anything, just kind of teetering on the edge. Dark thoughts and dark deeds are two still different animals...

I planned on shooting my own via one of those "nicer" HF guns (yes, that's sort of a joke). It's not just the paint though. And to show you I'm not totally nuts, I'm not even considering a jockey shift! Maybe once I mount up the new slip-on and wrap the exhaust I'll start feeling a little bit better about things. That and ripping off that horrendous checkerboard tape the PO ran down the entire length on the bike's centerline. Even the fairing!

Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if bone-stock is a rarer animal?
                              I just like my bike to stand out in the crowd a bit like I tend to do. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                              When was the last time you saw a nice GS1100E at the local biker hangout? Whether it's that nice overlook in the twisty road, that gas station that is always full of bikes, or the local bar. When was the last time you saw a nice clean stock(ish) GS1100E?

I'd guess not for a while. They are getting rarer, and chopping it up to look like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry bobber isn't unique.

You want a cool and unique ride? Take your GS. Upgrade the suspension, throw some modern rubber on there, modernize the brakes a bit, and SMOKE every other biker out there. All the while on a 30 year old machine.

That is cool.

PS every time I take my GS somewhere I always get compliments on it. And mine is a rough around the edges rider. You spend some time with paint, and some polish, your bike WILL stand out.

EDIT: Just saw the picture, ditch that awful fairing and put some low suberbike bars on. Grab some side covers. DONE.

Comment

Working...
                              X