Not really sure it's "appearance", but a question about handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really sure it's "appearance", but a question about handlebars

I am going under the assumption that the bars that came on my bike are stock. I like them for the most part, but there's a bit of a wrist issue on longer rides due mainly to the angle of the spread. I've done some looking at replacements, but the pictures of unmounted bars and sparse specs don't really help me much.

I'd like the bars to come farther up above the stem maybe an inch or two over stock (I'm 6'3"). I like the width of the stock bars well enough at the thumb/forefinger measurement, but not so at the ends (puts my wrists in a funny angle). I'm not really sure what this angle is referred to, and I haven't seen a lot of bars listed with an angle measurement anyway. I'm not sure if the best way to alleviate the wrist strain would be for the ends to point a bit more downward (towards the street) or for the ends to come in a bit more on the horizontal plane (towards the rider).

I know tastes in bars vary, but can you think of a few styles that might help? I've seen a few listed as buckhorns and nighthawks that look somewhat promising. I have this sneaking suspicious though that I'm just going to have to order three sets of different bars and just ship back the two I don't like. The reason I'm looking for the feedback is that I'd rather not have to send back all three since I was way off the mark.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM.

Most good websites selling handlebars have photos with measurements of the rise, width and angles. Even some eBay sellers provide this.

Bars are pretty cheap, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a few. I ended up with Renthal ultra-low bars on my GS550. They cost $60, but they are thick-walled, damp vibration pretty well, and are a good fit for me (6'2").

Comment

Ya, but aren't those angles referring to the angle of the spread from the clamp/stem/mount to the controls? I'm talking about the angle from the bend immediately before the controls to the ends of the bars. In other words aren't they referring to the first bends' angle (from the tank up) and not the second bends' (the part you slide the throttle on)?

Think of it like Nero or some other Roman cesar deciding if a gladiator was going to live or die. The stock bars feel like your hand is extended and your thumb is pointing left/right. I'm looking for a set of bars where you are giving more of a thumbs up (which should make the fictional gladiator referenced feel relieved). Not a straight thumbs up like 9 o'cl and 3 o'clock since I think that would complicate steering. Just more of a 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock feel. My stock bars hit me at more of a 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

You niught be looking for "L" bars.

Considering the question you asked in another thread, they might be a good fit for you.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So the bars from the L models? Was there a difference between L and E bars? I hadn't really considered it, but it might just work. I never had this problem with my old '82 GS1100L but that was so long ago now. Maybe it's just bothering me now that I'm older?

Anyone have any experience with "Nighthawk" style bars? Just a tad concerned that with the 7" rise we're talking almost mini-apes.
          Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Maybe the LTD?
          Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
          Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

The bars that I have seen for sale are measured in rise, pullback and width.
            Rise is the measurement of how far the bars rise from the clamps
            pullback is the amount that the bars are bent towards you from the mount.
            Width is width

Comment

Working...
            X