Removing Signal Lights - Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Signal Lights - Yes or No

How many of you removed your turn signals to clean up the look of your bike?

I took them off my 82 GS1100E and what a difference in looks.. I'm trying to decide if I should just keep them off and live with doing arm signals or should I get something else that is more compact to the bike.. From the back it looks so much nicer without the signals...

Is there any turn signals that just plug in to the bike without any mods?

The problem with hand signals is just about no one knows them anymore.
    Anything that increases tha fat slag in the minivan's chance is to be avoided.

Not a fan of DOT buggering.

Comment

i have removed the turn signals on my GS but we can get away with it over here in the UK.
      have a nose about on ebay, there are hundreds of styles of mini flashers about. most of them plug and play
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Since I am a member of run-it-stock club, I leave them in place. They are painted black, though.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I'm with Jeep. Anything to not give some maniac an excuse to run me over. Keep them on or if you must, go to some smaller but brighter LEDs.

I personally like the stockers as they stick out enough from the center of the bike to give it some "dimension". Anything too close to the body of the bike might not be seen I think.

If the charging system were able to take it I'l light the bike up like a Christmas tree, Yesterday I saw a Harley or Metric cruiser with real bright head lights (duals), auxiliary lights and turn signal/running lights mounted near the hand controls. I could see him coming at my clearly from over a mile. That's how I'd like to look if it would make the azzhats see me.

In my mind its too dangerous out there as it is, no sense in making it harder on yourself.

ride safely,
          Spyug

Comment

Removing signals and use arm signals? NO way (even say it's pretty dumb), save that for the antique riders or old school HD crowd who don't put on many miles day to day.

At least get some after market minis....but some aren't that visible during the day.

Others will never see hand signals at night unless you have hi-vis tape all over your left arm sleeve.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

If the charging system were able to take it I'l light the bike up like a Christmas tree

ride safely,
              Spyug
              AMEN!!!!

At least in my state, if the bike came stock with signals, they're required from then on.

Comment

Another thing, I am old enough to have had some bikes with no signals. Try sticking your left arm out, manipulating the clutch, keep your balance and maneuver in traffic and a stop a few times and see if you like it.

Comment

you guys are right, no signals is a BAD idea.. I'll try and get some smaller ones that are still bright enough..

Comment

Changing from stock you may need an electronic flasher

Comment

Hey evh,
                      This might help a little, I posted a thread a little while back when I upgraded my turn signals because I didn't care for the way that they were the center focal point especially the front ones. Here's the link:
                      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Here are some pictures that show my bike as it sits now with the new signals. They do not stand out like their predecessors and they are bright enough when used during the day.

SqDancerLynn is correct, you need a different flasher too!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                      X