Can Suzuki emblems be refurbished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Suzuki emblems be refurbished?

I'm curious: Have any of you refurbished your Suzuki emblems? I'm thinking this can be done with some black paint and chrome paint. Any thoughts on this?

If you're good at masking, they could come out good. I just replaced my gas tank emblems and was surprised to see how "gold" the Suzuki lettering was on the new ones. Mine had turned a silver color over the years despite always being covered or garaged at home/work. I had actually forgotten how they were supposed to look. The gold looks a lot better with the newer side panel emblems (gold outlined), new bar pad emblem (gold), and gold pin stripe on the tank.
    I think it would not be worth your time to refurbish them. It would be hard to simulate the factory finish and they're only about $13/ea for the tank emblems. Of course if you want the letters to be polished or chrome, then that's your choice.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      If you're good at masking, they could come out good. I just replaced my gas tank emblems and was surprised to see how "gold" the Suzuki lettering was on the new ones. Mine had turned a silver color over the years despite always being covered or garaged at home/work. I had actually forgotten how they were supposed to look. The gold looks a lot better with the newer side panel emblems (gold outlined), new bar pad emblem (gold), and gold pin stripe on the tank.
      I think it would not be worth your time to refurbish them. It would be hard to simulate the factory finish and they're only about $13/ea for the tank emblems. Of course if you want the letters to be polished or chrome, then that's your choice.
      Yeah..I noticed that bikebandit.com has them for about $14/per....not bad really...and it would save a lot of time

Comment

Re: Can Suzuki emblems be refurbished?

Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF
        I'm curious: Have any of you refurbished your Suzuki emblems? I'm thinking this can be done with some black paint and chrome paint. Any thoughts on this?
        They come out well with some time and patience. Hardly worth it in $$ terms, but time's cheap if you've got it to spare and I found the exercise quite relaxing (not a computer in sight).

Even found a good match for the orange "G" on my sidecover emblems.

Comment

can the old plastic ones be re-plated? how bout the chrome plate on the the forward end of my side panels? I should look, my boss might have some ideas.

Comment

Hi Guys,
            A little late but I custom cut reproductions emblems for our Suzuki's..
            Any color or style scheme so you can also get that custom look instead of factory. .
            I also hace over 5000 graphics in my library do touch her up for Spring.
            check it out at www.blcustomgraphics.com
            Still constructing so e-mail any requests if you dont find it, I can probibly get it...

Stimpy

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              I "refurbished" my "silver" ones. What I did was get a small modeller's brush and some black paint and VERY carefully painted up the black, screws included. Masking? We don't need no stinkin' masking! My bike is in by no means concours condition, but just a little bit of care here and there makes a difference!

Another trick if you're too cheap to buy, or can't find (sorry dude, obsolete) the aluminum "decals" that go on the stator and ignition covers is to paint 'em and then VERY CAREFULLY scrape the paint off of the letters and the large circle with a razor blade. If you have a TSCC model and those letters are not raised, put a piece of tape over them, paint the cover or "decal", and then razor blade it and touch up the "TSCC" with a modeller's brush and some black paint if you have to. Little things add to the whole "picture" if you will.
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I took my metal emblems off the tank and side panels, and dropped them in a can of carb cleaner overnight.

Yup, you heard me!

It stripped them of all paint, residue, and varnish but left the chrome.

I took some Testor's model paint and a chrome specific primer, and hand painted them back to original colors. Then a coat of clearcoat to seal the deal, back on the bike. Look great! Total cost: Free, since I'm a geek who paints pewter figurines as a hobby...

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
                  I took my metal emblems off the tank and side panels, and dropped them in a can of carb cleaner overnight.

Yup, you heard me!

I took some Testor's model paint and a chrome specific primer, and hand painted them back to original colors. Then a coat of clearcoat to seal the deal, back on the bike. Look great! Total cost: Free, since I'm a geek who paints pewter figurines as a hobby...
                  Damn! Do you have any pics we could see?

Rudi

Comment

Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF
                    Originally posted by Dark Jedi

Yup, you heard me!

Damn! Do you have any pics we could see?

Rudi
                    I didn't take any, but I can see if the old digital cam will snap a decent shot. (It's been acting up. need to replace it.)

Comment

Well, I dragged the old webcam and a laptop out to snap these. Crappy quality, but at least visible:

Comment

Working...
                      X