Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWBIE member trying to paint the engine *QUESTIONS*

Hey guys,

I'm new to the GS Resources site, but I'm hoping there will be some great information here.

The reason for this post is that I am currently rebuilding a 1981 GS750EX, and I have a guestion for you..

As the cooling fins all around the engine are looking old and nasty, I was thinking of just cleaning them as best I can, and then spraying them with an aluminum colored engine enamel. The paint that I was looking at is tolerant of temperatures up to 500 degrees, but I'm not sure if the cooling fins will get hotter than that. Is this going to be a problem, or should the 500 degree paint suffice?

Also, do you have any other tricks to getting the engine to look closer to new?

Thanks in advance

Re: NEWBIE member trying to paint the engine *QUESTIONS*

Originally posted by jsilas
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the GS Resources site, but I'm hoping there will be some great information here.

The reason for this post is that I am currently rebuilding a 1981 GS750EX, and I have a guestion for you..

As the cooling fins all around the engine are looking old and nasty, I was thinking of just cleaning them as best I can, and then spraying them with an aluminum colored engine enamel. The paint that I was looking at is tolerant of temperatures up to 500 degrees, but I'm not sure if the cooling fins will get hotter than that. Is this going to be a problem, or should the 500 degree paint suffice?

Also, do you have any other tricks to getting the engine to look closer to new?

Thanks in advance
    You have a couple of options: Glass-Beading or Power-coating. I would suggest having your engine sent off to a company to get powder-coated...and they can make it any color you want...not to mention, they glass-bead the engine anyway in order to prep it.

Now you'll hear some naysayers stating that powder-coating is bad for an air-cooled engine...citing the "overheating" claime. This is a myth...as it would take an insane amount of paint to truly hinder the air cooling.

I'm going to do this in the fall...and have them paint it with a clear-coat...bringing out the original "new" engine look again...and it will provide outstanding protection from the elements. It will cost about $450...but it's worth it.

Do a search for powder-coating...there are several companies out there...

Good luck!

NOTE: there are parts that I've been told are NOT o.k. to powder-coat...suggest you ask the company of your choice which ones those are.

Comment

If you wanted to go that route you would need to strip the motor and worry about some goof blasting the inside of the engine. There's another post on here somewhere that discusses using power tools to get the finish you're after.

I've had success using Mothers on my valve cover for removing the brown stains left by decades of burnt off oil. It works without damaging the finish but it is time consuming and you'll uncover areas of chipped finish that can't be fixed. In all honesty I would stay away from the aluminum paint, I find it to be pretty tacky looking.

Steve

Comment

hey

i actually have done this with a flat black paint (500 degree paint)it really looked nice with the enine side covers and points cover polished and the chrome valve cover cap ends.it really helps the chrome and polished aluminum stand out. it lasted about 2 years. just the ohter day i repained with a gloss black engine paint as i have the engine out right now. am in the process of a cosmetic restore.repainted tank and side cover and powder coated frame

Comment

Read the section on the Team Harris GS750/850. Near the bottom of the article is info on powder coating engine parts.

Comment

Spray cans of flat black engine enamel from Pep Boys/Auto Zone/etc. Did my 850 4 years ago and it is still looks good. No overheating problems. No problem matching the paint if you get new parts.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              If you wanted to go that route you would need to strip the motor and worry about some goof blasting the inside of the engine. There's another post on here somewhere that discusses using power tools to get the finish you're after.

I've had success using Mothers on my valve cover for removing the brown stains left by decades of burnt off oil. It works without damaging the finish but it is time consuming and you'll uncover areas of chipped finish that can't be fixed. In all honesty I would stay away from the aluminum paint, I find it to be pretty tacky looking.

Steve
              This is why you should choose a company that specializes in powder-coating automobiles, motorcycles, boats...etc. If NASCAR teams trust these places to properly powder-coat their engines...I think it's safe to say I can trust them to handle my humble GS.

Comment

Working...
              X