Exhaust bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust bolts

Almost hate to admit it, but I bought OEM bolts for my exhaust @ $2.60 a bolt from Bike Bandit. That being said, I did only buy one in the hopes I could use it to find cheaper replacements. I don't know a lot about fastener grades and materials, so I wanted to ask a simple question. I was reading the "Carbs - Spot n' polish" thread and wondered if I could use stainless bolts to attach my exhaust to the cylinder head? My bikes bolts are pretty nasty looking and need replaced. A PO mounted a header instead of the stock pipes and the flanges aren't bolted down tight. So I ordered some gaskets and whatnot from Bike Bandit along the single bolt and intend to get it all tightened down and on right. So to make a long post short- can I use stainless bolts to mount the flanges to the head, and if so, is there any special fastener grade I'll need to look for? The header is black and I'm wrapping it in black exhaust wrap, so the stainless bolts should "pop" in contrast and look pretty cool.

Thanks

(P.S.- No I'm not cutting it up. I have opted to keep it fairly original aside from bits like above and a custom paintjob)

You can use stainless bolts if you like - no problem, just use a bit of copperslip in case you ever need to undo them again. Allen bolts look nice as well in my opinion but of course it's your choice.

Or you can use studs - a better idea really as you won't be undoing threads in aluminium if you need to start taking the exhaust off again. Stainless again is ok.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I chose to use studs, my mounting holes were showing wear and I had to helicoil one of them. These were not the best studs, but they did work great. They are in there ROCK solid!
      I got them at advanced auto parts for around 6 bucks for a ten pack.
      8x1.25 i think. Nuts not included. Even though they really should not ever need to come out, I used anti seize.

Comment

HA! Looks similar to what I'm shooting for. Well, except that my engine isn't that shiny and I'm using black wrap. I think I might opt for the stud and acorn route after all. That single bolt will at least get me the right size/pitch.

Here's another question- Are the flanges NOT supposed to necessarily rest against the head? I was assuming that the gaps between flange and head where responsible for a lot of my issues. It looks like the two left-most are flat against the head and the two right-most flanges aren't. Are four of mine look like the two on the right of your picture (albeit with severely rusted bolts).

And one more just for Loud_et - Is there a particular reason you used two wire wraps around each pipe near the flange? I ordered an extra set of five, but that's because it didn't specify if the Helix wrap came with any.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

The flanges just push up against the collets and when they are tight enough they're tight enough.

Depending on your collets and your flanges some flanges will close up near to the head while others will appear to leave a big gap.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

studded mine as well. that after breaking 5/8 bolts and ending up drilling them out. thought i'd ruined my bike for a long while there. studs are in, loctited, heaven help me if i ever decide there's a reason to take them out.

Comment

Funny you posted this. I am trying to decide between Allen head SS bolts and studs with acorn nuts for my exhaust. If you do a search for acorn nuts here I'm sure some threads will pop up.

Acorn nuts have a nice finished look to them.

Just be sure to use antisieze with any SS screw or bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
                HA! Looks similar to what I'm shooting for. Well, except that my engine isn't that shiny and I'm using black wrap. I think I might opt for the stud and acorn route after all. That single bolt will at least get me the right size/pitch.

Here's another question- Are the flanges NOT supposed to necessarily rest against the head? I was assuming that the gaps between flange and head where responsible for a lot of my issues. It looks like the two left-most are flat against the head and the two right-most flanges aren't. Are four of mine look like the two on the right of your picture (albeit with severely rusted bolts).

And one more just for Loud_et - Is there a particular reason you used two wire wraps around each pipe near the flange? I ordered an extra set of five, but that's because it didn't specify if the Helix wrap came with any.
                The only reason i used two is that they were cheap and i was concerned about it comin loose. And i am weird. Lol
                I guess it is just what i did at the moment.

Comment

Studs over here.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
                    I just had one of the exhaust bolts on my 1100E disappear. If you please could you share that size and pitch when the bolt arrives?
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Stainless Steel Bolts and lock washers, I couldn't find studs at the time....

Comment

Use anti seize.

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          I just had one of the exhaust bolts on my 1100E disappear. If you please could you share that size and pitch when the bolt arrives?
                          Why not just remove another one and find a match?

Eric

Comment

On my bike they are M8 X 1.25. Didn't measure the length. Check the parts fiche.

Comment

Here's a quick question-

I'm going to look for studs and acorn nuts today at the local hardware store. Should I opt for stainless of would zinc work? Do they need to be a particular grade (like G8, etc.)? I wouldn't think so, but thought I'd ask. Finally, I should use anti-seize regardless of plating? I had been thinking Lock-tite to keep them in place...

Comment

Working...
                              X