New seat cover for '79 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New seat cover for '79 GS550L

So the Saddlemen seat cover for an 'E' model finally came last night.

I began shaving down the foam on the ugly-ass 'L' seat to see if I could make the cover fit. The goal is to get a nice flat look like the 'E' model, as I think that looks the best on these bikes.

Here are a few shots after some rough trimming:

There's still a small step in the seat, but I don't mind it at all. I forgot to get a shot of the shaved down foam, but I can say that all I cut off was basically the giant passenger seat.

I think that pan might be slightly too wide for the new cover, so I might trim it a bit. I will most likely run the new seat like this for a while, then rip all the foam out and rebuild it to an exact fit for for the 'E' cover.

Tommy

That's a nice looking cover. Why not find an E seat pan and foam in good shape and have it really looking perfect? You would have to fabricate a mounting system because they are different, but it should not be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
      That's a nice looking cover. Why not find an E seat pan and foam in good shape and have it really looking perfect? You would have to fabricate a mounting system because they are different, but it should not be too hard.

The only 'E' seat I found on ebay was $150. I didn't run across any pans at all, either. Plus, I am unsure of the differences in mounting between the 'E' and 'L' models. I wish I had one in front of me to look at for reference and comparison, but they are hard to find and expensive.

Tommy

Comment

I've got an '80 550E pan and foam I'd be willing to get rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by wegs426 View Post
          I've got an '80 550E pan and foam I'd be willing to get rid of.
          I want to say the seat covers are different for the '80 models, so the new cover may not fit. Can you give the dimensions for height, length and width?

Tommy

Comment

Rough measurements of foam are:

28" long
            4.5" high in front, 6" after step
            9" wide in front and center height (slims toward top). 12" wide at widest pt (step line)

I can get you pictures or more measurements of the foam and pan if you like, however I will be in Russia for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by wegs426 View Post
              Rough measurements of foam are:

28" long
              4.5" high in front, 6" after step
              9" wide in front and center height (slims toward top). 12" wide at widest pt (step line)

I can get you pictures or more measurements of the foam and pan if you like, however I will be in Russia for a week.
              Not necessary, my friend. I think I can get the foam shaved down to where I will need it. Thank you for the offer, though.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
              X