Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather polish or Mink oil?

A question about leather saddle bags.
    Use leather polish or treatment, like Lexol or mink oil?
    I've used mink oil for years on boots and jackets, it keeps them supple and
    helps with the water "proofing" without drying the leather.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

And these are not on my S
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Mink oil for the reasons you state. Leather polish may not have the same protective components. Most of what is sold as a leather polish is merely a cleaner.

cheers,
    spyug

Comment

I've used mink oil on boots for years for keeping them supple and waterproof for awhile between treatments. Drawbacks are smell that may spook deer while hunting and some people say that it breaks down the leather over time, along with darkening the color. Color not an issue with black saddlebags and deer hunting on the bike, well.....
      I also use beeswax which is more waterproof, no smell, and supposedly less likely to breakdown leather. Works better if you warm first.
      I suppose you can use either on leather saddlebags, but waterproof boot spray might be easier to apply especially in the seams.

Leather polish will look too clean and leave a shine, which spoils the old patina look of the bag, right?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

AS a leather worker there is one thing that absolutely trumps all others when it comes to protection and beautifying leather- it's called Aussie-
        Tandy leather or internet- it's uses beeswax and two or three coats and a buff and your set.

Comment

Working...
        X