Why no left side covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no left side covers?

I've been trying to trackdown a left sidecover for my wifes 550L, and there never seems to be any. I always find plenty of right sides....
    Is there some inherent reason that the lefts are all gone

if that is the battery side then thats the reason! if not look on ebay? I usually find a slew of non battery side covers but no battery side ones.. but keep looking they DO show up. I get LOTS of bikes missing mainly the battery side. Over the years, owners try to get them running. usually the first thing they do is try to find the battery thinking that will solve any problem. then that is as far as it goes. the side cover lays beside the bike, on the washing machine next to it, on a bag or rags, you get the picture. next thing the bike is moved and the cover stays laying wherever it is.
    fast forward to ME or you. I get a bike and say. "where's the side cover?"
    The owner replies "ummmm it's here somewhere..."

Comment

Lol, every bike that I have purchased that has been missing a side cover, it has always been the left! I think because that side has the fuse block under it, and the starter solenoid. Its a PIA to be sure. They are all in a wharehouse somewhere.

Comment

Could be also since it's the battery side, that it's taken off so many times that the posts get broken. I know I'm always careful/nervous when I take mine off.

Comment

... and in addition to all the above posts, most people park their bikes on the side stand. When they fall, the left side cover is usually right in the middle of all the scratched and broken bits.

Comment

Yes. The side stand. Its all too easy to knee it when you get on and straighten it up, too.A good left side cover isn't easy to find for an 850/1000G. I have several damaged ones. Two of mine have holes drilled in them where they can't be seen. I use cable ties to keep them in place.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              ... and in addition to all the above posts, most people park their bikes on the side stand. When they fall, the left side cover is usually right in the middle of all the scratched and broken bits.
              I'd not thought of that. Maybe thats the reason 1000 S left mirrors ran out long before R/H ones.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I never noticed, now I will have to look at pics of parts bikes to check it out!
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                1979 GS1000

Comment

Most of the guys I know that ride and have laid it down, (myself included) has been on the left side.

Left brain right brain thing I guess.
                  Sweet as L

Comment

Working...
                  X