Removing luggage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing luggage rack

Maybe this is a dumb thing to be worried about, but...

I'm thinking about removing the luggage rack that came on my bike, but I'm a little concerned about it because it looks like it bolts on to the same place the rear shocks attached. I can't imagine that the shocks will move laterally and pop off, but still, I'm worried. The best thing thing I can think of is to put it on the center stand so that the springs/rear wheel are pulling down on the bolt that attaches them to the frame. Is this ok? Do I have anything to worry about?

They can be a little tricky for sure. Put it on the centerstand and see. I do believe they'll come off easily enough, but you may have to adjust the setting on one of them putting it back on, that way you won't have to muscle it as much to get it back on.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

If you only undo the top nuts on the rear suspension mounts you'll have to give quite a tug to get the shocks to shift sideways.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hopefully your rack mounts on the outside of the shocks, if not might think about supporting bike from underneath with a screw jack. I dropped mine a year ago when replacing the shocks. It didn't hit the floor but if ever again will let it. Talk about heavy and a hard recovery. Be safe.

Comment

What bike are we talking about taking a luggage rack off of?

Eric

Comment

If that's the rack on your 750 just undo the upper shock bolts and pull the rack off (it looks to be on the outside of the shock). Don't drag it on the threads and be careful with those shock bolts, lots of them get stripped being put back on. Your shock doesn't go anywhere unless you pull on it. If for some strange reason the rack is mounted behind the shock just put the bike on the centre stand, undo both the upper and lower shock mounting bolts and pull the shock off. It always helps to pull up on the rear tire when doing this, it just makes pulling the shocks of a bit easier.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Put it on it's center stand, they will unscrew, and slide sideways enough to come off. If you have someone to help, just have them push down on the rear seat to put them back on, at least that's how I did it on the 1100g.

You haven't replaced the rear tire have you? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
                Put it on it's center stand, they will unscrew, and slide sideways enough to come off. If you have someone to help, just have them push down on the rear seat to put them back on, at least that's how I did it on the 1100g.

You haven't replaced the rear tire have you? haha
                Nope, haven't replaced the rear tire! Yes, it's a GS 750. Maybe some of you saw the picture from previous posts? I still can't figure out how to add it to my signature. Anyway, here's a link. They're not mounted behind the shock bolts (wow, that happens?!), so I'll just give it a shot. What's this about pressing down on the seat and pulling back on the wheel? Is this to get it back on or to pull it off -- or both? How/why does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
                  Nope, haven't replaced the rear tire! Yes, it's a GS 750. Maybe some of you saw the picture from previous posts? I still can't figure out how to add it to my signature. Anyway, here's a link. They're not mounted behind the shock bolts (wow, that happens?!), so I'll just give it a shot. What's this about pressing down on the seat and pulling back on the wheel? Is this to get it back on or to pull it off -- or both? How/why does that help?
                  Just kidding, now I figured out how to add a pic. Now I just need to take a more recent picture.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
                    They compress when you take them off, and expand (provide a lot of pressure) when they are on, so putting downward pressure will make them easier to take off, and to put back on. Just push down (more like sit and put all your weight into it). You'll have to do it whenever you want to replace the rear tire or brake pads.

Comment

Be careful pulling it off the back as they like to scratch your tail piece.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X