What paint, that is the questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What paint, that is the questions

I've posted a few different threads in appearance from my current build. Now it's time to start thinking paint. I'd like some feedback to see what the greater mind of TGSR comes up with.

I've done a stock rebuild on my 82 GS850GL. Frame off and took my time making it look good. I've gone through every bolt, screw, wire, crack and crevice. It came with the PODs and V&H pipe. I'll stick with those.

I am going to:

-Polish and install the grab bar.
    -Install other small parts. (back pilot box cover, upper frame covers, etc)
    -Replace the stock tank and frame cover emblems. They are on order now.
    -Add a windshield. Probably a smaller option like the Slipstream Spitfire.
    -Add black bar end weights. On order.

What do you guys think about paint for the tins? I like a black base.

Can't say much about painting the 'tins', but I would suggest a silver ceramic coat on the header.

I don't remember from your carb (spit & polish) thread, ... did you re-jet your carbs?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Black with a purple pearl.....but make the purple subtle.....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Can't say much about painting the 'tins', but I would suggest a silver ceramic coat on the header.

I don't remember from your carb (spit & polish) thread, ... did you re-jet your carbs?

Forgot to mention, I am having the pipes ceramic coated "chrome."

Yep, rejetted with a Stage 3 DJ kit. You helped me out. And you helped me install my Eastern Beaver Fuse block, and get my valves into spec, sync my carbs, and I'm sure a lot of other stuff.

So why wouldn't you have a say so with my frame covers and tank.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I like brighter colors for bikes. If you are firm on black, then mix it up with some stripes. Maybe some red stripes with white piping, or a white stripe with gold piping.

If I had a swept back cruiser like that, I'd go for more pimp schemes. Purple base with some yellow and white accent striping. Something metallic like green or maybe gold with some white striping. A candy apple metallic red maybe.

Not joking or trolling btw.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Black with a purple pearl.....but make the purple subtle.....
            Thanks GK. I like the idea of black with some sort of pearl.

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post

If I had a swept back cruiser like that, I'd go for more pimp schemes.

Not joking or trolling btw.
            I know you're not joking, but that's still funny.

Comment

I'd do a metallic black (silver flakes), with silver pinstripes of some kind.

Comment

Having seen a zillion black bikes, I think they look better with graphics of some kind. (Even if the black has metallic added to it.)

Years ago, I painted a bike black that looked good already, because a cousin wanted to buy it, but only if it was black.
                Of course, he changed his mind after I painted it....

Just my opinion, though.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Very sharp! Very clean too.
                  Its a tough call on adding color. With everything black and chrome , personally I think I would get my new tank and frame cover badges on and see what feeling that brings.
                  I imagine a nice silver pinstriping on the tank and covers.....just enough for some unique and tasteful detail.
                  Nice resto!

Comment

Working...
                  X