A Couple of Small Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Couple of Small Projects

As Helena is out of town for the next month for family issues, I haven't had much time to ride as the youngest's bus gets here too late to really get into work on time making me cage bound. So, I decided I'd start working on a couple of projects to fix things on the bike.

First, I decided to fix a crack I put into the side cover last month when I put my knee into it. So, after getting some ABS from Dogma when I bought my saddlebags, I finally decided to pick up some acetone and a baby food jar (got the applesauce kind; all the kids tried it but my 11 yr old devoured it, maybe should have gotten the split peas or something). It's soaking right now but I don't think I put enough in so I'll add more tomorrow.

While that's working, I also started on my first metal working project since 7th grade by making a bracket for a new thermometer/clock/voltmeter I bought from Hong Kong. Although I messed up my first attempt last weekend, I learned enough to make this one turn out okay. I also realized today I need to get a brake if I want to do anymore such work later.

I still need to pull it back off to paint and then I'll glue a plastic covering to the top to keep the direct rain drops off of it. It's mounted to the top of the handlebar mount and allows me to pull up the choke and remove/insert the key.

Tomorrow or, more likely next weekend, I still need to install the electrical side of things and it should be good to go.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I didn't take the bracket back off to paint it today but i did manage to finish the side cover, I think, and fixed up my fuse box to accept the new outlet for my voltmeter installed yesterday. Now I'll just need to install the new outlets and test them.

Here's the side cover after I had to add in a bit more acetone. At first this afternoon, it just wasn't soft enough but I worked to get it to a consistency of soft pudding. I think it will work but am not sure what I can do to test it.

Should I add some to the front too? I was told I shouldn't need to.

Here's the outlet I'm using under the seat for the gauge.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
    X