21" front rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21" front rim

I have a 1981 1100e that I'm going to redo this winter. Does anyone know if there is a 21" spoke rim that will fit?

You could always lace a 21" rim to a GS 1000 hub, but why?
    Going dirt riding or is this for style points?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by stevey9 View Post
      I have a 1981 1100e that I'm going to redo this winter. Does anyone know if there is a 21" spoke rim that will fit?
      Subscribed.

LOL! I was wanting to do the exact same thing to my '80 1100E!! To add a bit of angle and for the style points. Didn't know if it would be easier to convert/adapt a non-Suzi 21" front to make it work, or to try and lace up something to a GS1K hub. The GS1000 hubs alone go for $50 on these boards, whereas I find nice and shiny HD fronts (rim, spokes, the whole shebang) on CL all the time for about the same $$.

Still trying to ascertain if the L model forks are any longer than the E forks. I don't know much about Brit bikes and their Jap bikes interoperability, but there was a springer front end for a Triumph on CL that looked pretty cool. I guess I should start compiling a database of headtube, trees, and fork diameters for various bikes...
      Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I can understand the spokes, but the larger wheel I don't get. It seems it would look disproportionate (and monkey with handling). Do you have pics of an example?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Do you have pics of an example?
          Nope, and that's kind of the point.

Did any of the smaller CC bikes use smaller rear rim sizes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
            Nope, and that's kind of the point.

Did any of the smaller CC bikes use smaller rear rim sizes?
            full chart from Cliffs site:

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourner View Post
              Subscribed.

Still trying to ascertain if the L model forks are any longer than the E forks. I don't know much about Brit bikes and their Jap bikes interoperability, but there was a springer front end for a Triumph on CL that looked pretty cool. I guess I should start compiling a database of headtube, trees, and fork diameters for various bikes...
              I know for a fact the forks on the 80 750L and the 750E are the same. The forks on the 1100L and 1100E maybe the same length, though the L forks don't have the same adjustments as the E forks from what I could see.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
              X