Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple tree clamps that will fit 1980 GS550

Hey all,

I'm custom restoring a 1980 GS550 and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not the top triple tree clamps from different year model might fit.

The reason being is, I was thinking about clip-on bars, and found a few 1983-85 clamps that don't have the brackets for the handle bars as the 78-80 models do. Would just give a cleaner appearance.

Anyone have any experience/ideas whether or not these or any other make/model clamps might fit?

Thanks in advance!

Bearings will fit... steerer stops, gauge mounts & ignition mount are quite likely different.

You can make it work with a home made adapter plate I suspect.

If it's only the top you are replacing then you don't have to worry about steerer stops.

You do have to worry about the offset (for the fork legs) being the same as yours though otherwise you could negatively impact steering & control.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info monk!

I was just looking at getting the top anyway, and won't bother fiddling with it if it doesn't fit as well as stock... They're not too expensive on eBay, so I might just pick one up and see if it works out.

Will post the results here for anyone else interested.

Comment

just grind the mounts off, then pollish your top yolk

Comment

Working...
        X