Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting a fairing to more than headlight mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a fairing to more than headlight mounts?

Just randomly looking at different fairing styles, and this puzzled me.

How do you mount half-fairings and others that attach to more than the forks/headlight?

The 1/4 fairings are cool, but I really like these old-school half-fairing models.

or

OR

It seems to me that the headlight cannot swing on the forks with these fairings, unless the back end has tons of flex or something.

So how do people mount these types of fairings and/or the headlight?

Just curious.

A "U"-shaped bracket mounted to the front of the frame steering stem locates the upper part of the fairing. The headlight is mounted on extensions forward from this bracket, and so it does not turn with the forks. The rear of the fairing is mounted with brackets to valve cover bolts.

The fairing on my bike is mounted like this. There could be other mounting designs as well, which I am not aware of.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
      A "U"-shaped bracket mounted to the front of the frame steering stem locates the upper part of the fairing. The headlight is mounted on extensions forward from this bracket, and so it does not turn with the forks. The rear of the fairing is mounted with brackets to valve cover bolts.

The fairing on my bike is mounted like this. There could be other mounting designs as well, which I am not aware of.
      Exactly, that's a Ducati 900 SS replica fairing, it needs some good strong frame mounts and it does not move with the handlebars,it stays fixed straight ahead
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post

Do you have any pics of the brackets or mounting points? I'd like to better wrap my head around installing these kinds of fairings.

TIA

Comment

Working...
        X