Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which liquid/fuel is best to prevent fuel tank corrosion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which liquid/fuel is best to prevent fuel tank corrosion ?

I had my GSX750ES gas tank cleaned with HG rust remover. It will take me a year until I finish my project and the gas tank will be back to use.
    I'm wondering which liquid is best to prevent corrosion inside the gas tank...
    I had an experiment with Diesel fuel and some non galvanized bolts and found out that diesel is a disaster as far as rust prevention (why ? It feels oily).
    Motor or Car gear oil seems to be good but 5 gallons of oil is a bit expensive for the job.
    Can I use a gallon of oil and fill the rest with gasoline ?

as long as you keep it in a warm dry place, you should not get any corrosion in the tank.

Comment

You only need a few ounces of oil, enough to coat the inside tank surfaces. It wouldn't hurt to rotate the tank, with oil inside, every couple of months to recoat everything. No need to fill it up.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I kept one in my office for about a year with a few ounces of oil in it. Whenever I remembered about it I just shook it & rotated. Had it been in my garage closer to the sea I think I'd have rotated it a bit more & added a bit more oil...

Some people say that keeping it full of gas works (almost expensive as keeping it full of a cheap oil now though if you but the industrial farm oil in a 5 gallon drum).
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It's amazing how great minds think alike
          I guess the same gene responsible for liking old Suzuki bikes gave me the same insane idea of filling a few ounces of oil and periodically shaking it too LOL !
          The problem is that after I cleaned the rust with HG rust remover the inside of the tank starts having these reddish stains after a week in the upper parts of the tank where gravity cleared the oil .
          I guess I'll have to fill it up with gasoline or motor oil...
          If you guys think you're in trouble consider the fact that I pay 8$ (eight) for a gallon of fuel and twice for oil

Comment

Give it a squirt of ACF50. It does what is says on the tin.

79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I think I saw the AFC50 aerosol in the garage of the flight school where I took my flight lessons in the US...
              The AFC50 seems to be a good idea but it's impossible the have aerosols shipped internationally. I can't get it where I live and eBay sellers only ship the grease version outside the US/UK ...
              Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Fog the tank with a rust preventing aerosol

WD 40 comes to mind, as does Deep Creep and others

Then, add a light oil to roll around in there

What is your geographic locale? add it into your signature to give us the opportunity to better assist you
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm from Israel :-)

Comment

Big T beat me too it, mist it inside with a generous blast of WD40.

Comment

Deduct with phosphoric acid, then coat with some oil after the WD40. You'll have no rust for awhile.

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I'll start with the WD40 magic mist and report how it goes...

Comment

Working...
                        X