rear tail piece remount questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear tail piece remount questions

ok my rear piece has been falling apart and finally i decided to drill out the last rivet holding it together now i have a shell of a tail piece and a box mount for the tail piece i want to get rid of the box mount and the rear finder and just mount the shell to the frame any ideas on how to do this?

Does your bike have a hinged seat? I mount my seats with those hinges and the stock tail piece (when I had it) was part of the seat.

Post a pic of your parts and or fitting, so we can brainstorm.

Comment

i ripped out all the guts from my tail piece and simply made a bracket to secure it to the frame. you cant see it but there is a piece of 1x1" steel angle welded between the 2 rear frame sides.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

take a look at what ive got!

Comment

Easily enough done by fabricating a few brackets, you will just need to think it through, maybe mount to where the two holes are for the rear indicator brackets and the two rear mount points for the inner fender.
          You could attach the brackets to the tail piece by drilling, then counter sinking the holes and using counter sunk screws, cover with a thin film of two mix epoxy and sand smooth, paint.
          That way you will have permanent, sturdy mounting points that will be invisible from the outside.
          Question is why????
          Is it not easier just to reattach the storage trunk with new pop rivets?
          Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X