Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What seats are available for an '81 GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What seats are available for an '81 GS850G?

Hi All,
    I am a new GS850G owner and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternate seats?

I am looking for long range comfort for both myself and a passenger (my wife) that we can do some 100-200 mile days on.

I checked out the Corbin site, but it appears they don't offer one for the GS850 and I didn't see anything particularly interesting on eBay (lot's of the faux king / queen sets)

I would LOVE something that was more Corbin like with a bench style, or slight step style.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM.

The stock GS850G seat from 1979-81 is widely considered one of the most comfortable seats in the entire history of motorcycling.

I ain't kidding.

If the seat foam is a bit sacked, you can install an insert of Sargent's SuperCell foam like so:

If you need a new seat cover in the stock shape, these folks can hook you right up:
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mjolnir2k View Post
      Hi All,
      I am a new GS850G owner and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternate seats?

I am looking for long range comfort for both myself and a passenger (my wife) that we can do some 100-200 mile days on.

I checked out the Corbin site, but it appears they don't offer one for the GS850 and I didn't see anything particularly interesting on eBay (lot's of the faux king / queen sets)

I would LOVE something that was more Corbin like with a bench style, or slight step style.
      Not much available for our old machines, if you had a seat pan in which to work with you could probably get an upholstery shop to make a custom seat for you.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        The stock GS850G seat from 1979-81 is widely considered one of the most comfortable seats in the entire history of motorcycling.

I ain't kidding.
        The 82+ 850G seat aint too bad either. I covered 8000 miles on mine in only 3 weeks this summer. Average of 380 miles a day, although the longest one was closer to 700.

Only complaint I have about my seat is the cover is starting to tear on the edges. The foam itself is perfect. I'm looking into getting a new seat cover, perhaps from Pit Replica or Sargent. Plenty of information about them both can be found here using the search function.

Sargent also has a program where you can send them your seat and they will rebuild the foam to your wishes and recover it. It's a few hundred dollars, but may or may not be needed depending on your seats condition.

A good local upholstery shop can do the same thing, probably for less.\

Hope this helps.

Comment

About the only other alternative is from Saddlemen.

Complete seat for $221.95 or

a foam and cover set for $134.95.

Plenty comfortable, but it raises you up over an inch. In spite of my height I prefer the lower, stock seat to the Saddlemen bucket (yeah we have one at home, but don't use it).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is a double bucket available from Saddlemen, I think. Stock is best. 1000G will also fit.

I threw one of these away and found a stock seat.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

well, ok then. The one currently on there is in almost new condition. No tears, perfect cover and the foam seems to be in excellent condition. I guess we'll just leave well enough alone..

Comment

The Saddlemen double bucket is an abomination...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The Saddlemen double bucket is an abomination...
                  I will partially agree with you, Brian.

The seat on my wife's bike is great. Fits the bike well, fits the rider well.

Based on that experience, we got one for my son's '81 850G. It fits the bike well enough, but only sort of fits the rider, not counting the fact that it is well over an inch thicker, raising the rider to an even MORE upright position. It's better than what was on there, but only because the cover on that one was shredded, along with the foam. We found a stock seat to put on there, instead.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X