Fork boots/gaiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork boots/gaiters

Anybody put boots/gaiters on a GS300, GS250, or GS400?

Looking to get some online but not too confident about the measurements I'm getting from Amazon product descriptions.

I would not shop by Model, but only by fork and boot millimeter diameter description. A popular and good fitting gaiter for the larger GS's is the Rancho RS 1952. Only about 8 bucks a pair. May be too large for your fork diameter. I can tell you the above mentioned boots are on my 80' 1100E. See if your forks are the same, however I am almost sure they are smaller.
    But like I said search for compatible boots by mm.

Comment

I called Summit racing, they had no measurements on the diameters. He said they were all the same. Like I said, if your forks are the same as my bike these will fit.
      They are cheap and have ultra fast shipping.
      Find Rancho Shock Boots and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing! On or off-road, drive with confidence that your key suspension parts are protected with Rancho shock boots. These durable rubber coverings will shield exposed shock absorber shafts from flying rocks, dirt, mud, branches, and snow. The stabilizer boots are available in various lengths, as well as a palette of colors to enhance the appearance of your suspension.

Comment

IIRC your forks are 33mm, which isn't far from the 35mm of my 550, or even the 37mm of the 1000 and 1100. I would think most gaiters would fit yours, especially over the seals. If not, just pick up some stainless zip ties.
        These are the ones I used: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-45-39664.html
        which in their description say they fit 32-39mm.

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks!

Here are the relevant measurements if anyone is interested:

Fork upper diameter: 33 mm
          Fork lower Diameter: 55 mm
          Fork travel/stroke: 140 mm

Does anyone have any similar to this? Also - are the Ranchos slit at the bottom?
          Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I just measured my bikes. the 1100 upper tube is 37mm. The 550 is 35mm.
            Yes, the ranchos are slit at the bottom to allow better fit. I left my oem dust caps on and fit the pleat on the gaiter right to that and then zip tied.
            Wegs was right on with his info.
            It may be common knowledge, but it was not to me, that you should cut a small triangle out of the back of the gaiter tho let air in and our so when your shocks move they dont create a vaccuum and the boot gets all sucked in. Worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
              I just measured my bikes. the 1100 upper tube is 37mm. The 550 is 35mm.
              Yes, the ranchos are slit at the bottom to allow better fit. I left my oem dust caps on and fit the pleat on the gaiter right to that and then zip tied.
              Wegs was right on with his info.
              It may be common knowledge, but it was not to me, that you should cut a small triangle out of the back of the gaiter tho let air in and our so when your shocks move they dont create a vaccuum and the boot gets all sucked in. Worked for me.
              Geez I swear. GSR folks are amazing. People always measuring things, giving input.

So glad I stumbled across this place.

Comment

Originally posted by hjacobmiller View Post
                Geez I swear. GSR folks are amazing.
                Thanks for noticing.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have some fork boots I got for my EX-500 a few years ago.
                  I ended up not using them, but they are the kind that wrap around and attach with velcro.
                  They work good and are adjustable.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                  1979 GS1000

Comment

I refuse to consider them after Gaitors got my Granny

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                      Gaitors got my Granny
                      Good point! Maybe you should try fork boots, instead.
                      (The name is certainly more reassuring.)
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                      1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                      X