gpz fariing mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gpz fariing mount

probably going to pick up a original gpz fairing soon...doesn anyone know how they mount? along with the square headlight..i might put 2 smaller round headlighs in it (kinda like the early gsxr) if thats easier

IIRC, they had a frame that mounted to the motorcycle frame. This pic might help, but then again it might not... This is my old (now gone, sadly) 83 GPz.

Comment

These pics help?

'80 GS1000ST
      '92 ZX-11
      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Did you mean the little fork mounted fairing like this?

This one mounts with two bent bars that use u-clamps on the handlebars and two brackets to pick up the headlight mounting bolts.

Or the frame mounted fairing like the GPZ other pictures?

If you are interested I picked up an '86 ninja 600 upper fairing, square headlight, and mounting frame recently. After much consideration I don't think I will be using it, but it should be pretty simple to get mounted on the GS frame. If I recall you ran a CBR fairing on your GS for a bit, so you can surely figure out this mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post

This one mounts with two bent bars that use u-clamps on the handlebars and two brackets to pick up the headlight mounting bolts.

If you are interested I picked up an '86 ninja 600 upper fairing, square headlight, and mounting frame recently. After much consideration I don't think I will be using it, but it should be pretty simple to get mounted on the GS frame. If I recall you ran a CBR fairing on your GS for a bit, so you can surely figure out this mount.

yep thats the same fairing im looking at.. but the huge square headlight...i never could figure out how to mount the cbr fairing..so i trashed it after cracking it more...

they also have 2 smaller round headlights i though about fitting in the sqaure hole (i like the old look of gsxr,cbr,yzf etc with the 2 lights)

Comment

You can get this EXACT fairing, with a ROUND headlight hole. They do make it. No need to source a new headlight unless you really want a square one.

Brand new one:

I guess your other bet would be to source the square headlight and mounts from Ebay. The other option is to make your own brackets mounting to the forks somehow. Either the pinch bolts or with a big round clampy thing.

Comment

You can get this EXACT fairing, with a ROUND headlight hole. They do make it. No need to source a new headlight unless you really want a square one.

Brand new one:

I guess your other bet would be to source the square headlight and mounts from Ebay. The other option is to make your own brackets mounting to the forks somehow. Either the pinch bolts or with a big round clampy thing.

looks like it might be the same price to just get a new one

Comment

Bracket

GPZ Bracket on craiglist

1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                  looks like it might be the same price to just get a new one
                  And a new one comes with the mounting hardware. It is a really nice product. Study and good looking.

Comment

The early GPz fairing has an integral mount on the bottom triple clamp that uses two bolts to hold the T shaped bottom stay, which mounts to the bottom lip of the fairing

At the top, there's a horizontal ear that bolts to the top pinch bolt of the fork and a horizontal bolt running forward goes thru it

There's a bent T shaped plate attached to the bolt that goes up and bolts thru the two rear holes of the windscreen

Sorry these photos are so dark, it's AM here
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

And a new one comes with the mounting hardware. It is a really nice product. Study and good looking.
                      im gonna just get a new one i think

Comment

hey can you post a few more pics...a few diff angles an what not

Comment

hey can you post a few more pics...a few diff angles an what not
                          Sure thing.

View from the back

From the front

From behind the bars (note the C-clamps on the bars that hold it in place)

I've got a few more, but I don't think any showing the mounting points in detail. Let me know if you want to see some other angles.

Comment

you got one of a dead front and side view?...im liking them more an more each time i see them...but not sure how it would look with clubman or clip ons

Comment

you got one of a dead front and side view?...im liking them more an more each time i see them...but not sure how it would look with clubman or clip ons
                              This dead-on side profile enough for you?

Don't think I have one dead on from the front... This is the closest I have but still a bit of an angle. I'd offer to take one for your but the fairing is no longer with us

Should work find with clubmans or clip ons. You can always modify the fairing by cutting away a bit of the side material if it doesn't clear. As long as you have an inch of space on the bars to mount the C-Clamp on you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X