Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been doing some painting on the Fizzy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing some painting on the Fizzy...

Can't wait to see them on the bike. Not bad for rattle cans eh?

Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

The stripes came out very good. How did you do them?
    Can't wait to see it all put together.
    Are you going to clear coat it?
    Last edited by tkent02; 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What paint did you use?Looks to be cleared to IMO.

Comment

Hope my paint job turns out at least that good lol.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. I used Duplicolor Perfect Match paint from AutoZone or Advance Auto or O'Reilley's...take your pick. I used Duplicolor gray primer...3 coats. Then 3 coats of the blue. Then I let it dry overnight. Next day I lightly sanded with 1500 grit before putting on the gray. Turns out I sanded into the metal flake and had to go back and put another coat of blue on. This time I did not sand. I taped it off using thin pinstriping, followed by wide making tape, and newspaper to cover large areas. I put on 2 or 3 coats of the gray, but just enough to cover the blue. Then I put at least 3 coats of Rustoleum Gloss Crystal Clear Acrylic Lacquer. I like the stuff. After letting it sit at least 24 hours I started wetsanding. Started with 1000 grit to get rid of the orange peel and overspray. Followed that with 1500 grit to get rid of the 1000 grit scratches. Followed that with 3000 grip. I then let it sit overnight again and the next day hit it with McGuire's Ultimate Compound. For the gas tank clearcoat I used Spraymax 2K. It's fuel resistant and is really nice stuff. It sprays on very evenly and didn't even try to run or sag. Plus, it wetsands and buffs easier than the acrylic lacquer. Anyway, after sanding with 3000 grit wet/dry paper, the buffing is very easy. I used to stop at 1500 or 2000 grit and then buff but it would take forever for the gloss to pop out. After 3000 grit sanding, the gloss starts popping out almost immediately when buffing out with rubbing compound. It was difficult spraying this particular blue color. For some reason it produced a large amount of overspray so I had to put fairly heavy coats on, but try and not put it on too heavy or it would run/sag. The gray, which is the same Duplicolor Perfect Match paint, went on very nicely. Anyway, wetsanding can remove a lot of mistakes. Its' a long tedious and arm-breaking process, but the reward is when the gloss pops out when buffing, and it's worth it.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

Thanks for the step by step, appreciated.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

+1,been getting flak for thinking I'd do the 1000 the same way

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                +1,been getting flak for thinking I'd do the 1000 the same way
                I say go for it. It probably takes longer to wet sand out than painting with professional equipment because there's more imperfections to sand out, but it sure is cheaper, and very rewarding in the end. Just watch out you don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back. My arm hurts already.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Those look really good man. Good job. Can't wait to see it all put back together.

Comment

Here she is all back together. I'm very happy with how well the colors work together. All in all, I could not be happier...especially since I didn't pay a grand or more on a professional paint job.

Current Bikes:

Comment

Holy Cow that bike looks fantastic!!! that is a really nice blue colour, looks great.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have to be honest when I saw the bodywork off the bike I was uncertain. But now that it is complete its looks stunning...Nice job!

Comment

Just for comparison, do you have a "before" picture?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent job.

You should post it on the rattle can paint job thread, it will be the best one on there maybe.

Edit, this thread:

Last edited by tkent02; 11-24-2012, 12:08 AM.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sure, Before:

It wasn't bad, but I've always wanted a blue bike and have had 3 black bikes in the past. Never been a big fan of black anyway.
                              Last edited by ddaniels; 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X