Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning and Painting Parts

Hi

my storage place leaked and brown water marked most items.

Any good way to clean them.

I have tried to use WD-40 and carb clean on a piece and seems ok.

What sort of black paint is best to use to paint these now?

Simple Green and a scrub brush should do the trick
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Personally, I'm in the middle of a strip-down and rebuild myself. I'm going to use semi-gloss high-temp black for the fram and misc. items. For the body pieces and tank, I'll use Rustoleum, since it contains fish oil, and repels petroleum products, like oil, gas, etc.

FYI, for the tougher to clean parts(IE: motor, oil pan, etc), I just get some carb dip on a toothbrush or utility brush and scrub the grime out.

Comment

Simple green to clean is great.
        I like to rub my parts down with alcohol before I paint being sure not to leave any cleaner or body oil on anything I am going to paint.
        I would use caliper paint on those parts do not know if that is necessary, but thinking It would hold up better then reg paint including on levers.
        Though my reservoirs do not need paint I am trying a chrome paint on them just for looks and the chrome is not looking like chrome but I do like the finish.
        Bike not fully reassembled yet so I do not know how well the chrome is going to hold up yet.
        The chrome has primer under it but not the caliper paint.
        Do not know if that is the proper paint for the parts but makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
          Simple green to clean is great.
          I like to rub my parts down with alcohol before I paint being sure not to leave any cleaner or body oil on anything I am going to paint.
          I would use caliper paint on those parts do not know if that is necessary, but thinking It would hold up better then reg paint including on levers.
          Though my reservoirs do not need paint I am trying a chrome paint on them just for looks and the chrome is not looking like chrome but I do like the finish.
          Bike not fully reassembled yet so I do not know how well the chrome is going to hold up yet.
          The chrome has primer under it but not the caliper paint.
          Do not know if that is the proper paint for the parts but makes sense to me
          I would follow the above advice, but anything that you do to those parts should improve them.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Wow. I am as lazy as the next person.

I tried WD-40, Carb Cleaner, Thinner bath etc etc

Then I thought "Hang on, we have a glass bead booth at work"

WOW what a difference. Next up a coat of black acrylic and lets see how they look.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyjoel View Post

Then I thought "Hang on, we have a glass bead booth at work"
              If I had a glass bead blaster at work my bikes would be a lot less grungy and a lot more stylish.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is what I used for my black mirrors...

I used the bumper coating on the left-Dupli-color
                No signature :(

Comment

Indyjoel, you mught want to consider using epoxy paint. It's glossy and is tough as nails when it cures.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                    Indyjoel, you mught want to consider using epoxy paint. It's glossy and is tough as nails when it cures.
                    I will go and grab some black epoxy now. Will post photos in a couple of hours

Comment

Originally posted by Indyjoel View Post
                      I will go and grab some black epoxy now. Will post photos in a couple of hours

Sorry for these dumb questions. I just went to a couple of stores and could only find Acrylic in the old spray cans.

Can you get epoxy in a spraycan or do i need to get the spray gun out?

Comment

Ace Hardware sells it as appliance paint.

Comment

Is that Ace stuff good against fuel?
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

cleaned the part with paint prep. Sprayed it and ooops stuffed it.

got runs, and didn't look good.

Cleaned with Acetone and will try later.

Comment

Large quick sweeping motions, start spraying before part and do not stop until past part.
                              I will make a couple of passes to hit any areas I may have missed then wait until recommended time for next coat.
                              The can should tell you how long to wait before next coat.
                              Will heat up parts before first coat in the oven sometimes low heat until warm depending on the part. No plastic or rubber seals
                              The less humid outside the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X