Late 70s GS750 frame vs. early 80s GS750 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 70s GS750 frame vs. early 80s GS750 frame

I just bought a 1980 GSX750ET (known as GS750E in the US?). Pretty happy with the purchase so far. The plan for the bike is basically to build a cafe-racer out of it. I have orderes fork-boots and clip-on so far. The headlight is changed to a round one and gauges are removed. I still have some questions though.

1. I really like the late 70s GS750 tank much better my stock early 80s tank - are these tanks interchangeable?
    2. Do you guys have any cafe seats to recommend? The only modification I'm able to make on the rear frame is to cut shorter. I have no possibilities regarding welding. The seat should fit the width of my frame.

If anyone of you have the same type of bike, please do post pictures

Originally posted by Marcus91 View Post
    I just bought a 1980 GSX750ET (known as GS750E in the US?). Pretty happy with the purchase so far. The plan for the bike is basically to build a cafe-racer out of it. I have orderes fork-boots and clip-on so far. The headlight is changed to a round one and gauges are removed. I still have some questions though.

1. I really like the late 70s GS750 tank much better my stock early 80s tank - are these tanks interchangeable?
    2. Do you guys have any cafe seats to recommend? The only modification I'm able to make on the rear frame is to cut shorter. I have no possibilities regarding welding. The seat should fit the width of my frame.

If anyone of you have the same type of bike, please do post pictures
    Can you post some pics of the bike?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nevermind this post. Figured it all out now

I had a CB 350 K4 seat laying around, which I by coincidence tried on the bike. It actually fitted great on the bike and looks like a brat-style. Who would have thought?! I had to cut the rear frame a little shorter to make it look good, but overall I'm pleased with the seat combined with the stock tank.

Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X