Side covers question (Price etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side covers question (Price etc)

So, I have the option to buy these side covers for $75 free shipping. Was wondering how good of a condition these are. I would like a picture of the back but, they seem like an alright deal if you ask me. Your thoughts?

Are they warped or something?
    Looks like something cooked them.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Buy The new ones for $75.
      You will save money in the long run when you have to paint them.
      I would agree with Sedelen that it looks like something is cooking them.
      Check it out before you install the new ones.

David in Arizona

Current project, 1979 GS1000s
      Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        Are they warped or something?
        Looks like something cooked them.
        Agreed. Maybe the light is affecting it as well but these are the best looking side panels I have found for quite a while.

Originally posted by beast794 View Post
        Buy The new ones for $75.
        You will save money in the long run when you have to paint them.
        I would agree with Sedelen that it looks like something is cooking them.
        Check it out before you install the new ones.

David in Arizona

Current project, 1979 GS1000s
        I have looked for new ones, but they aren't manufactured anymore (probably havent been for a while). On BikeBandit, the right side is $80 but thats useless since I need the left.

Comment

Just because BB has it listed doesnt mean its available...never send anyone anything unless youve checked with an actual dealer for availablity. I call them and check on availablity AND their prices...then i get looking on Ebay and such armed with accurate info as a baseline.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Must get hot in that area where it looks cooked, as these do also.
            And the right doesn't quite look the same as the left.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

was the duct tape used for holding it on? the tabs on the back break off. Don't buy if you can't see the back. I have a set on a 1000G where the PO made a new tab from a bolt and JB welded it on. That is working fine. I have drilled a hole where you can't see on some and used a cable tie, as well.
              Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                was the duct tape used for holding it on? the tabs on the back break off. Don't buy if you can't see the back. I have a set on a 1000G whete the PO made a new tab from a bolt and JB welded it on. That is working fine.
                Damn plastic tabs and posts that get brittle and break off. I've done a few repairs myself on my 1100E.

sigpic
                Steve

Comment

There will come a time in the near future where even that set of side covers will be highly sought after. Something is better then nothing when no one makes re-pops anymore. I remember several years ago side covers for my S being available for $53 apiece on Bike Bandit, and I thought that was a bit pricey until the next year they went up to over $80 apiece and weren't even available for both sides anymore. Now people are asking crazy amounts of money for even crappy GS1000 side covers on eBay.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Those may not be warped. It looks to me like the seller took the photo under a chandelier or one of those goofy medusa lights.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

They are still availble at Boulevard Suzuki for $66.30 apiece.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

Damn plastic tabs and posts that get brittle and break off.
                        Not to belittle Suzuki, but their side cover tabs are the most flimsy I've seen of most of the other manufacturers. Other brands have theirs break so the poor Suzuki ones don't have much of a chance. The original side covers that came with my 1100 had two 10 mm bolts holding them on and all the tabs broken off each one. The brand new ones from the dealer don't look the most robust looking tabs either. Monetary savings for the company would be minimal here rather than adding some more beef.
                        1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by 6pkrunner View Post
                          Not to belittle Suzuki, but their side cover tabs are the most flimsy I've seen of most of the other manufacturers. Other brands have theirs break so the poor Suzuki ones don't have much of a chance. The original side covers that came with my 1100 had two 10 mm bolts holding them on and all the tabs broken off each one. The brand new ones from the dealer don't look the most robust looking tabs either. Monetary savings for the company would be minimal here rather than adding some more beef.
                          I was so dissapointed when I got my 1100 and had to deal with broken tabs. My left cover had a small hole in it and the cover was held on by a tie strap. Even though they can be repaired, as I have done, you still can't get the original grommets that fit in the frame for the upper two tabs, the ones you can get under the "revised" part number are a smaller diameter, and quite frankly they don't work. I've thought of using two and cutting them to size then gluing the two pieces together. As for the time being I'm nursing the ones on the bike for as long as I can. I always lube those tabs up everytime I pull them off, what a pia.
                          The GS1000 side covers on the other hand is one they did right, two slots on top of the cover that fit on a rubber mounted pieces of the frame and one rubber mounted screw with a bushing that will not let you overtighten it. Simple design and it works. Why couldn't they just do that with the 1100?
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

They are still availble at Boulevard Suzuki for $66.30 apiece.
                            http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1981&fveh=2127
                            But only the RH one if I'm not mistaken... I need a lefty

Originally posted by eil View Post
                            Those may not be warped. It looks to me like the seller took the photo under a chandelier or one of those goofy medusa lights.
                            After looking closer at it, yes I think you may be right. I'm pretty sure its the some wonky lighting

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                            There will come a time in the near future where even that set of side covers will be highly sought after. Something is better then nothing when no one makes re-pops anymore. I remember several years ago side covers for my S being available for $53 apiece on Bike Bandit, and I thought that was a bit pricey until the next year they went up to over $80 apiece and weren't even available for both sides anymore. Now people are asking crazy amounts of money for even crappy GS1000 side covers on eBay.
                            Agreed. That's because they know there must not be many left from all those crazy S riders

Comment

The GS1000 side covers on the other hand is one they did right, two slots on top of the cover that fit on a rubber mounted pieces of the frame and one rubber mounted screw with a bushing that will not let you overtighten it. Simple design and it works. Why couldn't they just do that with the 1100?[/QUOTE]

You're right. They work really well, but it's amazing how many of these side covers I've repaired because people lost the bushing (or never had them while in their possession and didn't know about them) and then tightened it too much..and broke the tab..jeez. Such an easy thing to do to keep them nice forever, and yet they still get so abused.
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
                              X