i think im going to un-cafe my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think im going to un-cafe my bike

i need pics of g bikes with non stock seats...im not a fan of those huge seats...

i think im going to re-weld my back peice of frame on and get some euro bars or dirbike style bars..
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM.

Just out of curiosity, what inspired you to reverse the cafe?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Remember that when you cut it you lost length. So I would mount the inner fender and let the frame naturally gap itelf for any critical parts mounting spots. Then tack it in place and finish welding it after you remove the other stuff.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Euro bars are awesome. Provide great front end feel and leverage, but also a really comfortable riding position.

You should look into mounting up a flat Bonneville style seat on your bike. Would look good and be a bit thinner than the stock seat.

Comment

The stock G seat is one of the most comfortable ever made. Never could understand why someone would modify perfection. Now an L seat...that's another matter.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

not sure, i just want a different look i suppose

ive also got a L seat for free im going to cut down and reform

Comment

Adendum to previous post...I was thinking in terms of things like the rear turn signals lining up with the holes in the inner fender. That sort of stuff. Use the inner fenders as sort of a jig to get it all lined back up and then tack it in place.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Another good idea is to sleeve the frame tubes with a length of pipe that will fit inside it. Give some linear stiffness past the points of the welds.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Another good idea is to sleeve the frame tubes with a length of pipe that will fit inside it. Give some linear stiffness past the points of the welds.
                  A piece of handlebar fits perfectly as a sleeve inside the frame tube.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Inside the smaller frame tubes behind the battery box area..seat frame rails? May be a bit too big around there?? I was thinkng more like steel tubing or even a small piece of solid steel bar stock. Doesnt need to be real long..just a few inches to each side of the repair. Might add a pound to the overall weight of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think it's the seat. The padding on his DIY cafe seat looks thin, good for about a half hour ride.

Buy any wreck of a G seat you can find, because they're hard to come by.

Just try to replicate the OEM thickness, as best for your can.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        I think it's the seat. The padding on his DIY cafe seat looks thin, good for about a half hour ride.

Buy any wreck of a G seat you can find, because they're hard to come by.

Just try to replicate the OEM thickness, as best for your can.

the seat i have now is a L seat cut in half long ways

also does anyone have pics of daytona superbike clip ons and euro bars...its a toss between those...
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Inside the smaller frame tubes behind the battery box area..seat frame rails? May be a bit too big around there?? I was thinkng more like steel tubing or even a small piece of solid steel bar stock. Doesnt need to be real long..just a few inches to each side of the repair. Might add a pound to the overall weight of the bike.
                          Yeah, the seat frame rails. It's a perfect fit, almost like it was meant to be.
                          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Cool...for some reason i was thinking they were kinda smaller diameter than say the down tubes..I was thinking like 1/2 inch maybe.

Comment

I switched from clip-ons to this Renthal Road Ultra-Low bar. Seems to absorb vibes very well, and is very light. I kept my Hotwing Glass cafe seat, which is actually very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X