I'm won't be doing that again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm won't be doing that again.

I wanted to get the airbox covers rechromed and while it was off I thought I'd do a carb refurb thanks to Robert for suppling 'o rings, I had been totally inspired by the polished carbs I've seen here, (I think Renobruce and Steve), I thought I'd have a go myself. A lot of effort and by the time I'd rebuilt them they were less than awsome.
    They do look better but not as good as I've seen others. I had all the steel bits nickel plated and all thats left is to tune the air/mix adjustments when I get time. There was a slight tight feel on the throttle that has gone now due to a strange high spot on one of the slides, and the choke is now super smooth so all was not a waste of time.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Well done!
    I'm green with envy
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Beautiful...even your frame is chrome! That's different but does make the appearance look clean.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

That's cool, wish I had the patience to do that kind of work. That's way more cosmetic detail than I am going to do to the XL project I have going on now. Nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
          I had been totally inspired by the polished carbs I've seen here, (I think Renobruce and Steve), ...
          Who, me???

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jeez anymore bling and you guys will be getting free memberships in the local HOG chapters.

Speaking of Hardleys, down at my bank today they were rolling in some blinged out barge that they are raffling off for a local charity. Now for $5 I might have been in but $20 a head is a tad steep. Of course, its likey worth $25K or better and that would buy a lotta GSs so maybe I should buck up.

Good work and thanks for sharing.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              Jeez anymore bling and you guys will be getting free memberships in the local HOG chapters.
              Even worse than that, ... I'm a card-carrying GOLDWINGER.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I buy a ticket from time to time on Harleys raffled for charity events...and immediate resale would be the plan.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitedog View Post
                  That's cool, wish I had the patience to do that kind of work. That's way more cosmetic detail than I am going to do to the XL project I have going on now. Nicely done.
                  Thanks, the bike is quite tidy now but everytime I looked at it there was a hole in the middle that made it look unfinished.
                  After all the time and messing I don't think it was a wise time investment, I didn't want to paint them engine case grey/silver but it might be the way to go.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Who, me???

Yes you! Thanks for the inspiration.
                  I will do the engine cases when I get time,but I will take them back to the brushed laquered look, I managed to get that look on the fork legs just right but flies and road chips are getting to work on them already.
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I think the carbs look great. Polished with just a touch of antique.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                    X