No announcement yet.

Small rear rack on a GS1000 ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something like this is a labour of love. The time I took to make it far exceded any chance of making more than a nickle an hour. Thanks for the compliments though.

Comment

I found this old GSM ad and it appears they never made one for the GS1000.... guess I will be bending pipe for sure.

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        I found this old GSM ad and it appears they never made one for the GS1000.... guess I will be bending pipe for sure.

That's surprising. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I got busy yesterday with some iron rod I had laying around. I dont have a tight angle pipe bender so I had to improvise with a vise and then just weld it up. I will get more pics of it painted and installed so I can get your feedback on whether it looks ok or like dog crap.

At the very least, I will have a template of the measurements.

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Ok here it is finished. I have learned several things. 1. It is impossible to bend metal uniformly without the right equipment. 2. I am not a very pretty welder. 3. It is difficult to mount a home made rack like this without dinging the paint on the tailpiece. 4. Store bought rack, adapted would make for more uniform bracing and bolt holes etc.

I gave it a valiant effort, so I will probably keep it on for now since it will proviede much utility. Maybe when I get the bike repainted, I will either find another or get a professional to copy this one with a little tighter spec's.

Last edited by Gregory; 02-12-2013, 06:51 PM.
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

That looks good, nice job.

Comment

Working...
              X