Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waxing poetic...painted ABS?

So,

I took the 650 over to my local painter, and he's talking a fair price for prepping/painting the tank and front fender.

He has also managed to convince me the sidecovers and tail cowling are in good enough shape, and painting is not really necessary at this time.

He has suggested waxing/polishing the side covers and tail cowling to bring out the shine.

Not being a paint guy, I'm looking for tips on how to do it (covering up/filling in light scratches and providing shine/depth) without screwing things up.

I know Meguiar's and Mother's are well thought of on here, as is any other Carnauba wax. Someone else mentioned some really high grit polishing paper used on fighter windshields.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not too proud to accept step by step instructions, either.

Thanks in advance.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

everybody has a preference when it comes to polish. i prefer Auto Glym myself.
    i would treat them first with Tcut, then cutting polish and finally a high quality polish.
    Auto Glym makes a super resin polish which i think has fantastic results.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You could always practice on the back side of the side covers if you wanted?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        You could always practice on the back side of the side covers if you wanted?
        Good call, azr!
        '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          everybody has a preference when it comes to polish. i prefer Auto Glym myself.
          i would treat them first with Tcut, then cutting polish and finally a high quality polish.
          Auto Glym makes a super resin polish which i think has fantastic results.
          Thanks Agemax.

Is there any particular Tcut product you find works reliably for most situations?
          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Thanks Agemax.

Is there any particular Tcut product you find works reliably for most situations?
            any brand of T cut will do. just use it lightly to start off and dont rub to hard.
            T cut basically removes the top layer of grime and dirt and weathered paint leaving a nice clean layer of paint ready for polishing
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

I would go easy on cutting the paint, since paint will be removed. Rub too hard and you will burn though the clear. I'd look for a general purpose polishing compound. Not cutting or rubbing compound. Lots of good products available at the local auto parts store. The fact that the covers are ABS is irrelevant. The thing is the paint, not the substrate.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I would go easy on cutting the paint, since paint will be removed. Rub too hard and you will burn though the clear. I'd look for a general purpose polishing compound. Not cutting or rubbing compound. Lots of good products available at the local auto parts store. The fact that the covers are ABS is irrelevant. The thing is the paint, not the substrate.
                thats why i said start off lightly.
                T cut IS polishing compound!
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

If they are really scratched, I wet sand with very fine silicone carbide paper then buff and rub out.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                  1979 GS1000

Comment

Hey bud

I have made thousands of dollars with this stuff it works well with a buffer or by hand. If you choose to use a buffer go very light and dont press to hard make sure the pad you use is new or clean and buff at a SLOW speed ( It says for use with high speed but i dont recommend for first time )
                    don't mistake a grinder for a buffer grinder's run way to fast and will burn the paint. If you choose to use by hand, wet a small kitchen sponge ring out excess water put a small amount of compound rub in small circles like applying wax let dry and remove with a clean cotton t shirt or a micro fiber cloth. then apply a coat of wax dont use the same sponge and and shirt or cloth as you did for compound cross contamination ! http://www.prestaproducts.com/Ultra_...t-details.aspx If you choose this method please feel free to IM me and i will walk ya through !
                    I rubbed these out by hand they are original paint from 80

ant
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I use a product called 3M SCRATCH REMOVER. Black bottle at almost every auto parts store. Simply apply a big dose and rub it around with a Tshirt rag for a few minutes. It will turn a kinda greyish as it removes the surface oxidation from the paint or clear coat. Then wipe it off and buff it a bit to bring out the glosss.

See my thread in the OTHER PROJECTS section.." Pretty Nice Barn Find" for pics of its results on the TX 750 body parts.

EDIT NOTE...It works wonders on turn signal lenses and plastic wind shields too!!!
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions...

I'll definitely post up some before/after pics when I've had a go at them.
                        '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                        X