Your advice on this seat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your advice on this seat...

So, I have been looking for a seat for my 650 and anything I have come across is either NOS condition (WAY out of my price range) or so terrible they have it listed for over $60. But, I did find a parts bike that had a crappy looking seat and a RH side panel i needed PRAISE THE SUZI GODS!

Here's the seat:

Your thoughts?

If the seat pan is in good condition, I don't see why you could not get a new cover and repair the foam. You can also by a gel pad that you could install into the foam before recovering. The seats on these bikes was never that comfortable to begin with. I use an airhawk seat cushion and it makes a world of difference on long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      If the seat pan is in good condition, I don't see why you could not get a new cover and repair the foam. You can also by a gel pad that you could install into the foam before recovering. The seats on these bikes was never that comfortable to begin with. I use an airhawk seat cushion and it makes a world of difference on long trips.
      I was just looking at some of the replacement seat covers and they are just about $50... Hopefully I can get it cheap as hell I was definitely thinking about putting a gel pad or 2 in there as well. Like you said, I'm just hoping that the seat pan looks alright. Because that will make my life SO much easier.

Comment

Found a new seat but seriously, way expensive. I would need to re-coat the seatpan due to the rust as well as the grab bar on the end. The seat/foam however is basically perfect.
        I think $150 is a little steep with basically a $27 shipping as well. Any idea for a better price? I was thinking something like $90. I think it could be shipped way cheaper than $27, but that's just me.

Comment

First off, I find my 650g seat confortable for up 325 mile rides. I think $150.00 is a bit steep as well and the shipping isn't too bad. Mine weighs 10 pounds. There out there you just have to keep looking. Do you have a mig welder? The one I'd give you for shipping cost, may be able to be welded up. If you like I could pull the foam off and see what the inside of the pan looks like.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

This was my first attempt at seat upholstery the hardest part was my mom letting me use her sewing machine ! I bought the material at Joane Fabrics for $15 dollars and watched a video on YouTube I cut the foam with a electric meat knife . the carbon fiber material on the top was a little off

Comment

That's pretty nice Anthony.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                First off, I find my 650g seat confortable for up 325 mile rides. I think $150.00 is a bit steep as well and the shipping isn't too bad. Mine weighs 10 pounds. There out there you just have to keep looking. Do you have a mig welder? The one I'd give you for shipping cost, may be able to be welded up. If you like I could pull the foam off and see what the inside of the pan looks like.

cg
                I do have access to one, but am not trained with one so would rather stay away from it for now haha. Its alright, I just need to keep digging and keep one eye open on craigslist and eBay.

Originally posted by anthonygs1000 View Post
                This was my first attempt at seat upholstery the hardest part was my mom letting me use her sewing machine ! I bought the material at Joane Fabrics for $15 dollars and watched a video on YouTube I cut the foam with a electric meat knife . the carbon fiber material on the top was a little off
                haha that looks pretty nice considering it was your first try.

Comment

If you can ride a motorcycle and stay alive you can use a sewing machine its simple ! There was some trial and error and a little blood too !
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM.

Comment

That on eBay?If it is offer them $90,they can only say no.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      That on eBay?If it is offer them $90,they can only say no.
                      I did last night and just got a reply for $100+shipping. So, a total of $127 for a pretty decent seat of all the ones I've seen if I'm honest. I think I can do that after tomorrow, since that is when I get paid

Comment

Update: Bought the seat for $126.22. Nice guy, willing to negotiate. Has a BUNCH more 650g parts if anyone cares to take a peek. His user ID is yz12910rv.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by anthonygs1000 View Post
                          thread drift, but that's an excellent job you did, anthony! Sewing machines and upholstery take real skill to do properly -nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            thread drift, but that's an excellent job you did, anthony! Sewing machines and upholstery take real skill to do properly -nice work.
                            THANKS The back half of the seat was easier than the front. I used the old cover as a pattern, and it gave me ideas as to how to make the front, with the electric meat knife i made a couple cuts in the foam to see how low i could make it

Comment

Working...
                            X