Looking to restore 1979 1000S gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to restore 1979 1000S gauges

Does anyone have any info on where I could take the gauges of my 1979 GS1000S for a good renovation. The second hand of the clock doesn't look very healthy and I'd really like to make sure everything is working properly before installation.
    They need a really good cleaning and a little repair work on the plastic above the speedometer as well.

IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

These come apart fairly easily, piece by piece. i had to pull mine apart to clean and to replace the glass the covers the clock,etc.

The toughest part was separating the glass from the gasket that had melted to the unit.

When you get that far, use a hair dryer to heat around the glass until you can get a blade between the glass and the gasket ( you will know what I am talking about once you open it up).

Comment

Thought I'd give this a little bump. Thanks for that Vmass, scary stuff but something I might attempt. Upon further inspection it appears that the clock might be inoperable, any suggestions about what a guy could do to get it repaired? I think the speedo unit isn't very good either, but that is an easy fix, just stick one in there that works!
      IBA# 12860
      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
      1984 KZ1100R
      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Has anyone got or know where the i could get one or maybe two of the top glass above the speedo/rev gauges?
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
          Has anyone got or know where the i could get one or maybe two of the top glass above the speedo/rev gauges?
          i had some made from clear perspex. work perfect and cheap. found a company in the UK on ebay that cuts them to your spec. long time ago now so i cant remember but there are a few on ebay now.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I looked but couldn't see any,
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I looked but couldn't see any,
              this place does them............

or try these guys........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hey does anyone know where I can get those LED light bulbs for the house??
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I found two in a Suzuki shop in the mid west. It was a couple years ago and their last two.

Unfortunately, one arrived snapped in half.

I had a great local dealer that would search the suzuki data base when I needed parts and give me the phone number to the shop that showed the part in iventory.

Sometimes it worked, other times it was a strike out. It certainly was worth the effort, as I did find a few hard to find parts.

Comment

I replaced the cracked glass over my gas/temp/clock with a simple piece of plexiglass. Cut it and sanded it to shape after making a template, and it looks great. Very inexpensive and very simple to do.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                      I replaced the cracked glass over my gas/temp/clock with a simple piece of plexiglass. Cut it and sanded it to shape after making a template, and it looks great. Very inexpensive and very simple to do.

Now you tell us four months after I broke mine and replaced with a different set of gauges
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I restored the gauges on my first 1000S. Both the temp gauge and fuel gauges were broken, so they were replaced with modified fuel gauges from a different model GS. Taking the cluster apart is easy enough, and the fuel and oil temp gauge needles are accessible so you can easily paint them.

The speedometer and tach are sealed so you need to unbend the top bezel to get access to the insides. Not sure how to service these gauges though other than maybe lubing the gears and cleaning everything. The speedo is unique to the S, but I think the tach is common (other than maybe the red line position).

The plastic cluster surround is quite fragile but if you have the broken pieces, I think you could piece it back together with ABS glue or epoxy. If the pieces are missing though, you will have to fab something out of sheet ABS. Good luck with that.

The clock could be fixed pretty easily I think using a generic quartz movement. You will have to pirate the old face plate though. That's what I did when fixing my oil pressure and fuel gauges anyway.

Good luck
                        Last edited by Nessism; 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X