No announcement yet.

How can I remove paint from plastics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, I use it on just about everything :P Even de-carboning combustion chambers.

I find that the eraser will pick up the residue and the spraynine will make it a little easier to clean up.

I've been able to remove the paint from my plastics with an orbital sander and 100 grit paper. It worked great and didn't leave the plastics scratched.

Not so good for tight spots though.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Ok, I'll have to try that, thanks!

Comment

Once you start using those you'll find all kinds of things to use them on

Keep in mind the eraser can actually remove paint if you try hard enough
        Last edited by Mekanix; 03-02-2013, 11:42 PM.
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by tylerhurley94 View Post
          What would you recommend using to remove the vinyl adhesive off of the plastics? I used a blow dryer to heat up the vinyl and peeled it off, but it left a layer of adhesive on the side covers. I've tried goo gone, scratch pads, and sand paper. The sand paper works to an extent, but I'm worried about sanding down too far. Does anyone know of any strong adhesive remover that won't eat the plastic?

Thanks
          Acetone will work, and it evaporates almost immediately. Lacquer thinner will also work, but use it quickly and wipe it off completely.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
            Acetone will work, and it evaporates almost immediately. Lacquer thinner will also work, but use it quickly and wipe it off completely.
            Or it will soften the plastic
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
              Which one will soften it?

Comment

All plastics on the bike were painted with automotive primer and paint. Only thing they forgot was the flex agent. So every compound curve or flexible part caused the paint to crack and chip off.

How can i get rid of the paint without harming the plastic?

I was thinking of using paint stripper and scraping it off before it chewed into the plastic.

Someone was recommending using graffiti remover as well.

Any ideas?
                I have used silicon carbide wet\dry paper to strip a plastic fender for a bike.
                You basically treat the process like buffing cases. Start with the coarsest needed to break the surface of the paint and start reducing coarseness.

2000 grit is more of a polish than an abrasive.

I painted said fender using flexible primer and used a base-coat\ clear-coat pairing.

It worked really well considering it was good old Canadian Tire brands from start to finish. ( HA to finish is funny yes? )

Comment

Which one will soften it?
                  Both but the acetone might a little quicker.

You could use it to get the goo off quickly, just don't let it sit there.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    I have used silicon carbide wet\dry paper to strip a plastic fender for a bike.
                    You basically treat the process like buffing cases. Start with the coarsest needed to break the surface of the paint and start reducing coarseness.

2000 grit is more of a polish than an abrasive.

I painted said fender using flexible primer and used a base-coat\ clear-coat pairing.

It worked really well considering it was good old Canadian Tire brands from start to finish. ( HA to finish is funny yes? )
                    lol, I liked the old stuff they had. Now its nothing but problems with the duplicolor. But it looks like that brand is coming off the shelf. All the shelves are empty around here.

I'm debating on doing it myself or getting someone else to do it now. I just don't have the place to do the quality of job I want to do. I was quoted 600 but a paint shop here before I did most of the hard work. Going to do as much as I can and then see what they will do it for. Who knows Might be worth getting it done maybe not.

I have the plastics stripped. Used an orbital sander and 100 grit. Found lots of cracks to fix and fill on the way. 5 minute epoxy? not a good crack fixer

Not surprised really after everything I've seen.

The only thing left to strip is the tank and I was thinking of doing that part with airplane stripper.

I'm not sure what the paint color will be but I'm going between the original color with a bit of metal flake or the rebull blue.

Last edited by Mekanix; 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM.
                    Stephen.
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Some more inspiration for you.

Regardless of what paint you use prep is the key.

A quick cell phone picture of 1 side panel and rear fender from my XL project after clear coat. Not buffed yet.

Epoxy primer and Duplicolor red metal flake 5 coats / Spraymax 2k gloss clear 6/7 coats total cost for paint, stripper and sand paper around $120.00. Time about 10 hours.

Comment

Not really. If you immerse it for awhile it might, but just using it to remove the glue adhesive shouldn't cause any problems. I've used them both tons of times to get old glue off of side covers and tail sections. Acetone's a bit more expensive, but really cleans things well with no leftover residue. Lacquer thinner's a bit more versatile for painting purposes, though.
                        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Where are you located? I am in Dartmouth, I may be able to help you with the paint job, I have a booth

PM me
                          Daryl

lol, I liked the old stuff they had. Now its nothing but problems with the duplicolor. But it looks like that brand is coming off the shelf. All the shelves are empty around here.

I'm debating on doing it myself or getting someone else to do it now. I just don't have the place to do the quality of job I want to do. I was quoted 600 but a paint shop here before I did most of the hard work. Going to do as much as I can and then see what they will do it for. Who knows Might be worth getting it done maybe not.

I have the plastics stripped. Used an orbital sander and 100 grit. Found lots of cracks to fix and fill on the way. 5 minute epoxy? not a good crack fixer

Not surprised really after everything I've seen.

The only thing left to strip is the tank and I was thinking of doing that part with airplane stripper.

I'm not sure what the paint color will be but I'm going between the original color with a bit of metal flake or the rebull blue.

1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                          1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

What would you recommend using to remove the vinyl adhesive off of the plastics? I used a blow dryer to heat up the vinyl and peeled it off, but it left a layer of adhesive on the side covers. I've tried goo gone, scratch pads, and sand paper. The sand paper works to an extent, but I'm worried about sanding down too far. Does anyone know of any strong adhesive remover that won't eat the plastic?

Thanks
                            lighter fluid (for Zippo cigarettes lighters) takes gummy adhesives off. Never seen it harm the plastics .

Comment

So all in all does this thing about Steve Murphy and Cindy Day have you perplexed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                                Where are you located? I am in Dartmouth, I may be able to help you with the paint job, I have a booth

PM me
                                Daryl
                                Awesome. I'm just in Enfield:-)
                                Stephen.
                                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                                GS twin wiki

Comment