Battery/Electrics relocation w/Stock seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery/Electrics relocation w/Stock seat

IMO the electrics are too susceptible to the elements in their current position, and would like to relocate them (the area between pods, and rear fender should be more than enough space). Has anyone done this with stock seat/plastics? I assume that, when I do relocate the electrics (i.e. ignitor, R/R, solenoid, fusebox, flasher relay, and battery) I will have to build my own enclosure and it will be pretty noticeable even behind the side panels.

Remember that the electrics are also located on the sides of bikes so that ample airflow while moving can cool them,,THEY NEED AIRFLOW TO COOL OR THEY OVERHEAT.

Oh...and they bare made to be exposed to the elements. If your just looking to keep them clean and dry its really not an issue.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

In front of the fender but behind the pods is gonna flood them with engine heat ON TOP OF the heat they naturally create while operating...Myself, I would do it.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        In front of the fender but behind the pods is gonna flood them with engine heat ON TOP OF the heat they naturally create while operating...Myself, I would do it.
        With your description, I'll assume you mean you wouldn't do it

To be honest, I think I will probably just keep it stock for now unless I go with a cafe-ish seat. Since I got a stock seat, I'll just let this thought sit in the back of my head with other modifications I have been sketching out

I do however have to find out how to mount a battery that is larger than the battery box hahaha I will probably just drop the money for an Evo 8 cell eventually and the problem will become nonexistent. For now, I can deal with the battery just hanging on I guess... If there is an alternative I am all ears.

Comment

Yes...I forgot the nt on would. I would NOT put them anywhere that restricts any more air than they get on the side of the bike nor would I put them where they will be subjected to the baking hot heat from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
            With your description, I'll assume you mean you wouldn't do it

To be honest, I think I will probably just keep it stock for now unless I go with a cafe-ish seat. Since I got a stock seat, I'll just let this thought sit in the back of my head with other modifications I have been sketching out

I do however have to find out how to mount a battery that is larger than the battery box hahaha I will probably just drop the money for an Evo 8 cell eventually and the problem will become nonexistent. For now, I can deal with the battery just hanging on I guess... If there is an alternative I am all ears.
            Why not just get the one that fits?
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Maybe if you made a box with an exhaust hole and a ram air type air scoop to provide cool ingtake air..but thats way too much work for what the current location already serves.

Comment

Many people put the small lithium batteries in the rear glove box and run the positive cable under the seat to the starter. The ground can just come out the bottom of the box to any frame point.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  Why not just get the one that fits?
                  Yeah, I know I simply need this for testing, hell it was $30 from eBay and I got it basically to test if it works well. It passes with flying colors... Ya know, except that whole doesn't fit thing

Many people put the small lithium batteries in the rear glove box and run the positive cable under the seat to the starter. The ground can just come out the bottom of the box to any frame point.
                  That's good to know. May seem like a weird question, but is the glove box in the seatpan (opened by the rear lock I guess)? First time owning a bike does have it's downfalls

Maybe if you made a box with an exhaust hole and a ram air type air scoop to provide cool ingtake air..but thats way too much work for what the current location already serves.
                  Exactly. There is no way I'd be doing that any time soon.

Comment

On my bikes, what i mean by "glove box" is the space in the rear cowl where the tool kit is usually stored. I dont know exactly where yours is, but it is the place under or near the rear of the seat.

I will go look at some fiches to be more prepared on location. But i think you get the idea.

Comment

On my bikes, what i mean by "glove box" is the space in the rear cowl where the tool kit is usually stored. I dont know exactly where yours is, but it is the place under or near the rear of the seat.

I will go look at some fiches to be more prepared on location. But i think you get the idea.
                      Ah, gotcha. I bet the rear lock is just the release for the whole seat itself so it can be taken off for maintenance, repair, etc. I know what space you're talking about though

Comment

Yours is that hollow space in the rear cowl once you take off the seat. Yopu can drill a hole in the cross member strap that goes from each frame rail (right above the plastic inner fender ) and use a bolt and nut to attatch the ground side of the battery. See the FRAME parts fiche and youll see what I mean.

Or better yet..just go behind the frame grab rail and put the ground to that.

Comment

Yours is that hollow space in the rear cowl once you take off the seat. Yopu can drill a hole in the cross member strap that goes from each frame rail (right above the plastic inner fender ) and use a bolt and nut to attatch the ground side of the battery. See the FRAME parts fiche and youll see what I mean.

Or better yet..just go behind the frame grab rail and put the ground to that.
                          Got it. Thanks for the research Definitely did not have the small box for the tool set on it, nor the frame grab bars. But, now that solves the question of the holes on my frame I had no idea what they did... Now I know I'm not going crazy.

I think I'll get that small tool holder later on so I can have a few tools just in case when I'm riding.

Comment

Heres the frame schematic...and the cowl goes on the back most squarish looking frame strap. Youll see the 2 bolt holes there. Youll see the grab rail on the meft side of the frame as well.

Heres the rear seat cowl schematic..

Comment

Use one of the online places and store it in your favorites so you can referrence the schematics to see whats missing and where things go. I just use Bikebandit.com for the schematics. Some people use babbits, alpha Sprts etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X