Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate location of Coils...

Hello,

I would like to move my Dyna coils to a mounting position on the downtubes where the stock horn is located. Does anyone have a guide or recommendation on how I can go about this?? I know that the coils do need to be bolted to something to have a ground. Could I possibly wire the bolts that go through the coil-mount-holes to another ground or even wire them back to the holes that they were originally bolted to but with the coils at a remote location?

I realize that doing this may put my dyna coils at risk of being stolen as well but I still would like to roll the idea over in my head.

Thanks in advance,
    Dm of mD

Anyone done this before on a GS?
    I'm going to try and replicate a mount like this and put the coils on the inside of the downtubes where the horns can mount. Good airflow and easy access too.

Dm of mD

Comment

I don't see why you can't try other than your fender will hit them going over bumps. When I mount something to the frame I use rubber dipped clamps made by Grote. They come in 1/16" increments so you can get what you need and are available at hydraulic shops. The only problem I have with the clamps is that they have really big holes drilled in them for mounting.

Steve

Comment

Anyone done this before on a GS?
        I'm going to try and replicate a mount like this and put the coils on the inside of the downtubes where the horns can mount. Good airflow and easy access too.
        Not on a GS, but this is a common mod done on the air-cooled Yamaha RD bikes when using aftermarket coils. The stock coils are small and new ones usually don't fit in the stock space, so they get mounted on the downtubes. No problems and as you say, much better airflow. Since heat is the enemy of most electrical things, the better cooling is a very good thing.

Mark

Comment

On an old R5 (pre RD) Yamaha 350 I had I mounted automotive coils on the down tube held in place with a couple of pieces of 1/4- 20 all-thread. I bent the threaded rod so that the curve would fit around the body of one coil and the open end would be just long enough to fit slightly past the other coil. Then made a plate that I formed over a 3.5" piece of pipe so I had a curved piece of metal that fit around the coil with dog eared ends that I drilled to fit on the 1/4" rod.

I covered the rod with tubing so as not to scrape the down tube of coils and used contact cement to glue a piece of rubber gasket material in the curved plate to protect the other coil then added four lock washers and nuts and tightened the assembly down. I had no problems with it for more than a year after installing the coils. At that point I sold the bike.

Mike

Comment

Awesome. I wound up using a set of L-shaped mending plates to extend the coils down and under the stock mounting brackets. That should provide enough ground right? I mean, they are still solidly electrically connected to the original ground locations/frame...

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
            X