650E and G tank differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650E and G tank differences?

I'm looking for a spare 650G (or E if it fits) tank and fender to use for my 650GD while those parts are being painted/decals applied.

I know some of the tanks have the fuel gauge sending unit and some don't, but that doesn't concern me so much, as I can live without the gauge for awhile. I'm more interested in whether there are differences between the E and G tanks as far as mounting goes.

Thanks,

Derrick
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

It's fun answering one's own thread starter. I had an email response back through the wonders of the internet, I have [edited] it slightly to make it read more easily:

"I am not sure. But, the G tanks tend to be narrower at the top frame rail tunnel as well as the G frames. I do have an '81 850G tank on my '79750E frame though.

[You] would have to try one on [your] frame or get someone to measure the tightest clearance in that tunnel and compare that measurement with [your] G tank to be sure.

Of course, it looks like they both mount the same at the rear.

Also, I have found that on some of these tanks the horse-shoe shaped front mounts can
    be set back further and move the tank into the steering limits.

Just some things that I have ran into while working in the mad scientist lab creating some of these.

Certain year 550 tanks may also work. I do have an '80 550E tank here that I could try but the rear mount is the single bolt type.

I do know that an '80-81 750E tank will not work on this G frame as I did try that.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help as I don't have a 650E tank here to try myself."
    '83 GS650G

Comment

I often talk and argue with myself but so far I don't respond to my own emails.

How about buying this CA ebay's seller tank- use it and resell later and recoup most of your costs I'm thinking $60 and its yours

ebay item #290911743081
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I saw that one, Tom. Looks a little on the rusty side, but that is one of the reasons I was asking about fitment. Something tells me the 650E tank is a little different...
        '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
        X