keeping aftermarket bars in place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping aftermarket bars in place

So I've mentioned in a couple threads that I've switched over to some chrome aftermarket bars but have a question that I keep forgetting to ask...

Both sets of my stock bars have little grooves where they mate up with the triple tree, to keep them from rotating back and forth whilst on the road. My aftermarket bars do not have this and tend to rotate backward from me hanging on for dear life whenever I goose the throttle. (I don't always realize when this happens until I notice that my mirrors are no longer pointing in a useful direction behind me.)

I have the handlebar clamp bolts torqued down to the maximum within the range specified in the manual and I'm reluctant to go further. Is there anything I can put between the bars and the clamps to give them more staying power? I thought about sandpaper, but that's only grippy on one side. I do have an old inner tube, but I'm worried that the rubber might be too thick and squishy.

Suggestions?

EDIT: It occurred to me to google this, but all I got were results for how to grow a handlebar moustache. *sigh* I miss the Google of a decade ago, when it was actually good at finding things.
    Last edited by eil; 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

I would buy better bars

Comment

Small strips of aluminum spacers (beer cans)? Or a quick wrap of electrical tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
        Small strips of aluminum spacers (beer cans)?
        Was just about to suggest that! I remembered that tip from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and how the guy with the BMW flipped out when the author suggested it to fix the same problem.

Comment

Cool, I knew someone would have a decent answer. Not sure electrical tape would do much, but I'll certainly give the aluminum strips a whirl.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Even the widest rubber bands you can get a hold of would do it. Cut a piece to fit, Twist those bolts down good and tight.. I bet it will never budge again.

Comment

I have aftermarket bars on two of my bikes and the bars don't move. I would check the clamps to make sure they are in good condition. When the clamps are tight there is usually a gap in the front of the clamp and no gap in the rear. Maybe if you are not tightening them correctly,the bars will move.

Comment

I have used small strips of emory cloth. Nice and gritty to bite in well. You could also remove a few thousands off each side of the bar clamps.

Make a strip about 2 inches long and slightly smaller than the width. Fold it in half and contact cement it together so the rough is out on both sides. Insert between the bars and the triple tree..clamp down and the emery cloth bites in and they wont turn.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  I have aftermarket bars on two of my bikes and the bars don't move. I would check the clamps to make sure they are in good condition. When the clamps are tight there is usually a gap in the front of the clamp and no gap in the rear. Maybe if you are not tightening them correctly,the bars will move.
                  just a heads up, it's typically better to tighten them down so there is a gap on both the front and the rear. the holes in the clamps (or at least the ones in mine) are not clearanced to allow misalignment, so it can actually damage the bolts or even the holes in the top triple clamp, depending on how much of an angle there is. That said, there probably isn't enough gap there to matter, at least not until you start putting other things in there to help grip the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    You could also remove a few thousands off each side of the bar clamps.

I have used beer can strips but I think this is a more elegant solution.
                    Just rub the clamp across a file or a piece of sandpaper a few times should probably do it.
                    Besides, only really crappy beer comes in cans.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      I have used small strips of emory cloth. Nice and gritty to bite in well. You could also remove a few thousands off each side of the bar clamps.

Make a strip about 2 inches long and slightly smaller than the width. Fold it in half and contact cement it together so the rough is out on both sides. Insert between the bars and the triple tree..clamp down and the emery cloth bites in and they wont turn.
                      I like this idea, and I bet it would work to eliminate my throttle-side controls from rotating, too. They keep walking and ****ing me off.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                        EDIT: It occurred to me to google this, but all I got were results for how to grow a handlebar moustache. *sigh* I miss the Google of a decade ago, when it was actually good at finding things.
                        HA! sorry I don't have a suggestion for your problem, but I keep thinking the same thing lately. The internet used to be more helpful before all the dummies figured out how to use it, now its much harder to find good info.. This forum being one of the exceptions of course!
                        I guess if I was having your problem I think I would try what some others said and file down the clamp flat surface just a little bit so it clamps tighter. If you want to try the sandpaper trick might try some sandpaper made for sanding drywall that is like a mesh, its pretty thin and I think its abrasive on both sides so you only need one layer...

Comment

Working...
                        X