Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires that look like they are from the early 80s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think older bikes look really racy with Avon RoadRiders mounted. If you peruse the classic motorcycle magazines (or any GS rally) you'll see tons of old bikes wearing RoadRiders and ridden hard. The Bridgestone BT-45 has a more "complicated" pattern if that's what you're into (again, I have no idea what you think "looks right") and is an excellent modern tire.

The Coker repro tires are for guys who roll the bike out of the trailer onto a piece of clean carpet, then place a path paper towels to protect the tires from the desecration of clean grass as they roll carefully into their designated spot at the show. They then place a perimeter of snotty "do not touch signs" around the bike and hover anxiously nearby with an umbrella to protect the paint from the horrific rays of the sun and a ready supply of microfiber towels in case a grain of dust should fall.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

From personal Experience

In 2012 my son and I restored (preserved) a 1982 Honda CX500 Custom and our thoughts were the same as yours..to find a vintage style tire without sacrificing handling traction.

After some research we settled on Bridgestone Spitfire S11's
      Grip is good, looks are vintage, longevity undetermined but when we traded it off it had over 8K on them and they looked great.

Comment

..hmm. I went for non-vintage and am happy enough but you never know. I have an owners manual for an eighties bike that specifically states the bike was designed with its OEM tires in mind. So if you want the OEM ride, you need the OEM tires

Comment

Those spitfires look nice have not had a chance to look at all the suggestions yet. I like the white raised letting as well. I can not imagine modern tires with a vintage look would not handle well.

Comment

Though a little pricey for what they are compared to the new stuff, a classic tire set that still does pretty well is the Continental K112/RB2. The size selection sucks, but suits GS owners quite well. I've gone through several sets since '76 and never had a complaint. The 750B will need rubber soon and that combo is the choice, just as they were on my 750B from '77 to '81.

Comment

I not understanding the old tire look? Dunlop GT501's, Avons and Pirelli Sport Demons all look great on old bikes and perform well to boot.

Tire threads = pi$$ing contest

Comment

I wish that they had old pricing!

Comment

Ding Ding Ding...Frank wins!!!!!!
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
                    Dont they just make a vintage looking tire with modern rubber??
                    Kenda is coming out with a vintage line anytime now. they have an advertisement for it in vintage bike magazines.

Comment

American Motorcycle Tire sells Bridgestone Accolade classic/vintage tires...nice retro look with modern compounds and technology. There's a few other brands there that have the look your looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                        Kenda is coming out with a vintage line anytime now. they have an advertisement for it in vintage bike magazines.
                        All Kenda tires do is slip on any surface, wet or dry.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X