Rustoleum 252459 - Gloss Cherry Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustoleum 252459 - Gloss Cherry Red

Has anyone sprayed this specific color? My neighbor saw me tearing down the GS and we got into a paint talk. I told him about the CBR I sprayed with a rattle can and when he saw the pics he called BS.

So for the sake of fun I'm hanging up the gun and spraying the GS with Walmart rattle can just to show off my skill. I was looking at the color selections and i'm not fond of the oranges though so i'm thinking of a BRIGHT red. My aim will be to come out in the end with a candy tone but that means I need a pretty bright red to work with.

If you have used "252459 - Gloss Cherry Red" and have pics they would be very appreciated.

Not used the cans, but have gotten ridiculous results with canned Rustoleum cut 50% with acetone.

Comment

Not rustoleaum, but rattlecan. I did three bikes that way one winter when I didn't have my tools... They all came out pretty good.

Now there is 2K two part urethane clear in a spray can, are you familiar with it?

It will keep a spilled tank of fuel from ruining your masterpiece.
      Last edited by tkent02; 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yea i know 2k but i dont use any clear not made by the same company as the paint. Always match them. Down here you can grab a shop towel next to the pump to get the nozzel safely over and away.

As for the canned paint if i was going that route i would just use PPG. Good tip tho

Comment

I once painted an entire car with 10 cans of ultra cheap store brand paint. Really didn't look all that bad until it started to fade. Had a lot of people who thought it looked too good (before it faded) to be spray bombed...
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I have no issues or concerns over using a rattle can, I have a ton of experience. Just trying to get an idea on the outcome color of this specific one.

Comment

The outcome will be great until the fuel gets to it.
              The 2K you won't be using would have prevented that.
              We will still need pictures, the before, the after, and the second after pic, after the fuel gets done turning your beautiful artwork into an even better Picasso looking masterpiece...

Comment

Yea I will document it start to finish. I use generally around 6-8 coats of clear all said and done. Done and cured properly there is no way gas is going to affect the finish in the next 10 years, especially taking care of it. The greater issue is having an adverse reaction or subpar outcome with the paint by using a clear coat that is not made by the same company as the paint. I will have 40-50 hours into painting the bike, it would be a shame to see that all flushed if the 2K clear and the paint don't play nice. Not saying it will, but in all these years doing it my way I have had zero issues but have seen plenty of other people suffer it big time.

I used to have an '82 Chevy Corvette Collectors Edition, and the gas cap is in the center of the top of the cars rear, between the window and the spoiler. On most of these the paint around the gas cap and lid are damaged from gas over time, but not mine. I kept shop towels in the car and I would wrap the nozzle in them anytime it was not on the pump or in my tank. This simple effort keeps any gas from dripping and if a drop does you can wipe it right off.

Comment

Yeah, I never spill a drop either, except on a rattle can job. It happens every time.

Good luck with that. I haven't heard of 2k ruining any rattle can paint job yet.

There are quite a few on this forum.

Comment

Just curious, if you know how to paint and have the equipment, why the rattle cans?

I wouldn't waste 40 - 50 hours to prove a point to any neighbor.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Just curious, if you know how to paint and have the equipment, why the rattle cans?

I wouldn't waste 40 - 50 hours to prove a point to any neighbor.
                      40-50 hours is pretty much all prep, painting is the easy part. I can do every bit as nice a job with a can and it's a lot cheaper so showing off is fine with me.

Comment

Tom's right about gas damaging rattle can paint. Rattle can paint is also soft and will scratch and chip easily. It's too much work to waste the effort on crappy paint.

I see air compressors on craigslist all the time, and Harbor Freight sells passable spray guns for cheap (or there's always ebay). For people that desire quality in the finish product, it's worth spending a little $ on getting the right tools.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Tom's right about gas damaging rattle can paint. Rattle can paint is also soft and will scratch and chip easily. It's too much work to waste the effort on crappy paint.

I see air compressors on craigslist all the time, and Harbor Freight sells passable spray guns for cheap (or there's always ebay). For people that desire quality in the finish product, it's worth spending a little $ on getting the right tools.
                          I am (was) a professional painter I have ALL of the equipment and then some

Comment

I *think* that's the color I'm using on my 1972 Honda CB350, and, yes, Rustoleum.

In the past I have used Duplicolor paints with good success, but have gotten funny results with them recently.

Other forums discuss Rustoleum with good results for gasoline resistance, especially when waxed frequently. It certainly is easy to paint with.

Whatever you do, skip the Krylon. Awful paint for motorcycle applications. No matter how lovely it looks when you're done, it will orange peel down the road and get powdery with exposure to the sun. (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                              I *think* that's the color I'm using on my 1972 Honda CB350, and, yes, Rustoleum.

In the past I have used Duplicolor paints with good success, but have gotten funny results with them recently.

Other forums discuss Rustoleum with good results for gasoline resistance, especially when waxed frequently. It certainly is easy to paint with.

Whatever you do, skip the Krylon. Awful paint for motorcycle applications. No matter how lovely it looks when you're done, it will orange peel down the road and get powdery with exposure to the sun. (IMO)
                              Krylon is great but it's made for plastics not metal. My gripe with Krylon is the marketing, they act like its a no/minimal prep when in reality if you want the quality outcome it requires a lot of prep.

Do you have any pictures from the CB yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X